Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Fellow cyclists, we need your help! Please answer some questions for a school project
Hi there! We are a group of college students trying to conduct some user research for a human-centered product design class. For our project, we have identified some issues that glasses-wearers encounter with wearing masks, and one of them is fogging. We think that cyclists are potentially affected the most by this issue since fogged glasses might put cyclists in danger on the road. So we want to gain some insights from our fellow cyclists to come up with a specific solution for this problem. Please help us answer these following questions and any input is very much appreciated!!

1. As a cyclist, what aspects of wearing a mask bother you the most when you are cycling?

2. If you are a cyclist and also wear glasses, do you find fogging glasses an issue for you while cycling? If so, how do you usually deal with it? What kinds of products do you wish to have when you encounter this type of issue?

Thank you all so much!
(10-16-2020, 01:42 AM)stephanie Wrote:  Hi there! We are a group of college students trying to conduct some user research for a human-centered product design class. For our project, we have identified some issues that glasses-wearers encounter with wearing masks, and one of them is fogging. We think that cyclists are potentially affected the most by this issue since fogged glasses might put cyclists in danger on the road. So we want to gain some insights from our fellow cyclists to come up with a specific solution for this problem. Please help us answer these following questions and any input is very much appreciated!!

1. As a cyclist, what aspects of wearing a mask bother you the most when you are cycling?

2. If you are a cyclist and also wear glasses, do you find fogging glasses an issue for you while cycling? If so, how do you usually deal with it? What kinds of products do you wish to have when you encounter this type of issue?

Thank you all so much!
1. Why the hell would i wear a mask while out in the open cycling? That solves that problem.
2. cleaning your glasses with shaving cream makes them anti-fog..problem 2 solved. you are welcome
Both I consider fabricated non issues and number 1. would be total misuse of the mask and not its purpose even if it did work as they say.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Thanks for the information!
I also don't understand why someone would wear a mask while cycling. Can you explain what kind(s) of mask you're talking about and why a cyclist might need to wear it/them?

The only problem I ever have is wearing a snood to keep my face warm(ish) while cycling in freezing temps. I'll have to try Painkiller's shaving-foam trick on my glasses!
Hello Enkei, I'll be honest and admit that I used to wear a mask as part of my training routine. Essentially, it provided some "elevation" while biking or running in the flat terrain of Boston. The masks I used were of slightly thicker fabric distributed during the pandemic. I still carry and use them as they keep my face warm, especially during colder times of the day in Boston/South America/India.

I have observed an intriguing trend in India during the current trip. An increasing number of people ride super motorbikes or chopper bikes without wearing helmets but opting for face masks instead. I haven't been able to comprehend this..:-)
(10-16-2020, 01:42 AM)stephanie Wrote:  Hi there! We are a group of college students trying to conduct some user research for a human-centered product design class. For our project, we have identified some issues that glasses-wearers encounter with wearing masks, and one of them is fogging. We think that cyclists are potentially affected the most by this issue since fogged glasses might put cyclists in danger on the road. So we want to gain some insights from our fellow cyclists to come up with a specific solution for this problem. Please help us answer these following questions and any input is very much appreciated!!

Thank you all so much!

1.) really hard to breathe but this was a necessity during the pandemic. I figured it would also help while cycling in high traffic areas with lots of pollution
2.) yes it is an issue if I am wearing a mask, that's why I don't wear masks while riding
(12-19-2023, 08:06 PM)GirishH Wrote:  I have observed an intriguing trend in India during the current trip. An increasing number of people ride super motorbikes or chopper bikes without wearing helmets but opting for face masks instead.

The mind is truly an amazing thing! Confused

Thank you all so much!

Can't comment since I don't wear glasses, but from friends that do the masks tend to rub on the face with the glasses . Btw they use some anti-fogging paste for this.