Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Bike Racing
I competed in my first bike race, I trained for 6 months with weights and stationary bike riding, along with long distance riding. When the race started I couldn't believe the speed an the pace of the group. I got totally smoked. How do people train for a 35 mile race?
(09-14-2013, 12:30 PM)jhahern Wrote:  I competed in my first bike race, I trained for 6 months with weights and stationary bike riding, along with long distance riding. When the race started I couldn't believe the speed an the pace of the group. I got totally smoked. How do people train for a 35 mile race?
Saddle time my friend, you have to be able to spool hard for twice that so you can kick it up a notch for the short runs. as you found out humans can do amazing things. I would lay down about 50 to 60 miles a day, plus work 8 hrs. and i would get smoked too. 6 months is a good start, but you have to keep to a higher level all year round.
Give it a couple years and you will see gains in endurance and overall speed. Now you know what to expect. train harder it will come
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Ride your bike - stationary is not going to cut it for getting ready to race; it might help to loose less of your capability when you can ride, but will not do anything for improving.

Commute by bike; sprint home; and on weekends do distance rides - like PK said, twice your race distance.
Nigel