Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

From 1st to 2nd-problem
Hi.

Sorry I dont know if this is in the right section of the forum.

I just got a mtb for the 1st time as an adult. On the left hand side of the handle bars where you can change for 1 to 2 to 3. When I change from 1 to 2 it doesnt alwaya do it. The dial moves to 2 but the bike makes an awful noise and no matter how much i pedel it still makes that noise. If I then go into 3 it then after a good few seconds it eventually corrects itself and stops making then noise and changes correctly.

On the right hand side of the bike, the numbers all go up and down no problem.

Is it something im doing wrong?

It was my first time out on it today.

Its a carrera vegeance.

Thank you
Hello Danielle, Sounds like the front derailleur just needs adjusted. Worst case being the crankset needs replaced if it is worn the ramp pins are not grabbing the chain correctly to finish the shift. do you plan on being your own wrench in your renewed bicycling endeavor? Click your shifter back down to the small chainring in front, put the rear on the largest cog in back. check to see if there is any slack in the cable.( if you start to push the shifter and it moves any without seeing the front derailleur move accordingly you may have slack. The part that moves the chain one way or the other on the derailleur is called the "cage" . It has the inner plate and the outer plate. while in the gears I explained earlier the chain should be approx. 1 to 2mm from touching the inner plate. this is important as you have what is called "indexed shifting". the shifter has a pre-determined amount of travel, so if the cage is to far from the chain to start and there is slack in the cable it will then shorten the distance of derailleur movement outward to make the shift. But the shifter will still click in and say it is in 2nd gear. ( that tells me your shifter is probably fine). There are 2 screws on the derailleur usually marked with an "L" and "H" Meaning Low limit and high limit stops. the low limit stop screw is the one for adjusting the cage to chain spec. you do this with the cable disconnected. Then connect the cable after setting the low. The high limit screw is what keeps the chain from throwing off the big ring. this must all be set so when you make the shift you will be able span the rear gears without rubbing the chain on the front inner and outer plate at any givin time. depending on the shifters, they may have what is called "trim". this is a very small click that moves the derailleur plate away from the chain when needed.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(07-02-2017, 01:03 PM)Millerblade Wrote:  Hi.

Sorry I dont know if this is in the right section of the forum.

I just got a mtb for the 1st time as an adult. On the left hand side of the handle bars where you can change for 1 to 2 to 3. When I change from 1 to 2 it doesnt alwaya do it. The dial moves to 2 but the bike makes an awful noise and no matter how much i pedel it still makes that noise. If I then go into 3 it then after a good few seconds it eventually corrects itself and stops making then noise and changes correctly.

On the right hand side of the bike, the numbers all go up and down no problem.

Is it something im doing wrong?

It was my first time out on it today.

Its a carrera vegeance.

Thank you
I'm no experienced bicycle expert but I would say try adjusting your front derailleur alignment. If that does not work, then take it your lbs (local bike shop). Hope this helps.