Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Picked up another 80's Kuwaraha
Found this Kuwahara  yesterday for $50 at a thrift store. It has very nice wheels and tires as well.
Nice high quality bikes. Buy one if you ever get the chance.
[Image: IMG_00002397_zpsf4gq79un.jpg~original]
[Image: peu_20150426_1532.jpg_zpsd6sgqsra.png~original]
"Where ever we go, there we are"
Looks like a tight gear range up front from the granny to the middle. Can you get an accurate weight the way it sits? I am not a weight weenie per say but do like to know how much various bike weigh. My guess would be 31lbs give or take.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(04-26-2015, 11:10 AM)painkiller Wrote:  Looks like a tight gear range up front from the granny to the middle. Can you get an accurate weight the way it sits? I am not a weight weenie per say but do like to know how much various bike weigh. My guess would be 31lbs give or take.

Never weighed a bike before. How is it done?

On my way now to a antique motorcycle show and swap meet right now. Will look for your answer and try and weigh it when I get back PK.
I use a Park Tool scale Model# DS-1. Fits in my park tool shop stand. I nice alteranative would be what they call a digital luggage scale found at most office supply stores like office max.
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/322362/Conair-Travel-Smart-Compact-Luggage-Scale/
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Nice Bike. Looks like it's for very tall person. I guest its a city bike, or hybrid. As per weighting it, you can use a bathroom scale, weigh yourself, than pickup the bike and weight both you and the bike. Subtract your weight from total.

If you see a vintage Ducati take photo.
Never Give Up!!!
(04-26-2015, 12:05 PM)elmore leonard Wrote:  
(04-26-2015, 11:10 AM)painkiller Wrote:  Looks like a tight gear range up front from the granny to the middle. Can you get an accurate weight the way it sits? I am not a weight weenie per say but do like to know how much various bike weigh. My guess would be 31lbs give or take.

Never weighed a bike before. How is it done?

On my way now to a antique motorcycle show and swap meet right now. Will look for your answer and try and weigh it when I get back PK.

Using GeorgeET's method, bathroom scale, it weighed in at 21lbs as pictured. 
Well, do doubt in my mind. Way off, by about thirty percent. The bathroom scale method is not very accurate. If so that would put the bike well under 20lbs with no rack or fenders. Thanks for trying though.
(04-26-2015, 04:59 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Well, do doubt in my mind. Way off, by about thirty percent. The bathroom scale method is not very accurate. If so that would put the bike well under 20lbs with no rack or fenders. Thanks for trying though.

After your post i weighed it again at 25lbs. 
The wheels and tires are very light. But the handle bars and stem are 1 piece steel. 
These were high end bikes for their time and sold only in bicycle shops. Funny but the Kuwahara's I have found all came from the same bicycle shop which has since changed owners. All were imported into Canada by a company calked Fred Deely Ltd.  which became a large Harley dealership and has now changed hands as well. Kuwahara was famous for BMX bikes and they have a Kuwahara BMX museum some where.
Frames from Japan were some of the best back then for sure
The bathroom scale method works well, depending on your scale. I have a nice digital scale and I can even weigh my cat and get results very close to what the Vets scale gets. I also use it for shipping. Sure not as accurate as purpose build scale but good digital scale, I have Tanita, can be close enough for a bike.

IMO 25 lbs is a bit short for that large a bike with extras. But those were good bikes. Any info on the frame material, butted?
Never Give Up!!!
(04-27-2015, 12:15 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  The bathroom scale method works well, depending on your scale. I have a nice digital scale and I can even weigh my cat and get results very close to what the Vets scale gets. I also use it for shipping. Sure not as accurate as purpose build scale but good digital scale, I have Tanita, can be close enough for a bike.

IMO 25 lbs is a bit short for that large a bike with extras. But those were good bikes. Any info on the frame  material, butted?

I stripped the bike down today and put it back together but as I haven't got a Sun derailleur removal tool yet? I won't finish it until tomorrow after I regrease the rear bearings. But this bike is different from my other Kuwaharas. The frame is all welded except for at the top of the seat tube which is fitted. Unfortunately other then for two small Kuwahara stickers, the model has yet to be determined. Another nice thing about it is the tires. They are RC 1.25 Smoothies which take 95ibs. So this will be s speedster for me.
(04-26-2015, 11:00 AM)elmore leonard Wrote:  The bike has been fully serviced and now ready to ride. Just a great a great bike. [Image: peu_20150428_1535.jpg_zps6rmf10sa.png~original] [Image: peu_20150428_1536.jpg_zpspapmea7d.png~original]
[Image: peu_20150428_1537.jpg_zpshwviay2u.png~original]

[quote pid='33151' dateline='1430060401']
Found this Kuwahara  yesterday for $50 at a thrift store. It has very nice wheels and tires as well.
Nice high quality bikes. Buy one if you ever get the chance.
[Image: IMG_00002397_zpsf4gq79un.jpg~original]
[Image: peu_20150426_1532.jpg_zpsd6sgqsra.png~original]
[/quote]
Crazy angles for sure! good deal Elmore