Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Czech Bicycle
Just thought I would post a pic of a Mid-range Hardtail Made in the Czech Republic, the brand is Superior. I bought it the other day just for the hell of it and basically for parts. I know a lot of us in the states have never heard of or even seen a Superior bicycle. But pretty much like any other Deore equipped bike from around 2002. It was actually purchased in Czech and made its way to the USA. I know of no dealers of this brand in the US or Canada. but are considered a premium brand over there and have been in business since the early 90s and make claim to being the first to bring the 29r to MTBs. they also support a race team and I think even an electric bicycle that looks pretty sleek.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I likey likey! Wheres the pedals?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Nice!...Love the colors...
Well Bill, of course he had spds that he did not want to give up and I could care less about them as I am a high-end platform pedal guy anyway, plus for now its a parts bike so far till I decide what to do with it.
As far as the colors it reminds me of a sports jersey for some kinda team. I will have to pump those sweet Maxxis slicks up and take it for a spin which I have not done yet. I bought it with the intention of down grading and rebuilding my "project Fuji" with the components off of this bicycle and using some of the Fuji components on my "AMP Down" project.
I sold my customized GT Tachyon and My Hopped up Cannondale F400 last week to a guy who took them for a test ride, came back and said "I will take both of them, they are awesome! ". What could I do, bikes come and go for me ( some of them ) and it was time to move a couple to do other personal projects and have some funding to stay " I the black" if you will. I like to have my hobby but, it must be self funding and not out of pocket expense. I am still just a midwest corn boy from Illinois waiting to hit the lottery like most people! Sad
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Oh I totally understand about the out of pocket expense thing. Wink . I do some minor other stuff myself to fund my bicycle hobby, so we are in essence in the same boat. Per say if someone throws me a 20 for going over to change something on their transportation then that would go per say needs for some tubes or a special tool Wink . Was just ribbin ya about the pedals bro. Smile . spds are not my style either, platform is preferable here too.
Do the smaller profile wheels offer better road handling? Saw them like that on a couple of different bikes like that in the past on web images. This one here should go for a decent amount being a collector, that is if you let her go. Downgrade or not pretty cool style of bike. Two thumbs up on the plan Smile.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Same way of doing things here to Bill. The tires you see are My favorite 26in. slick, Maxxis xenith 1.5, 85psi and stick like glue. suits my agressive street style of riding and paved down hilling and parking deck racing. Its all about the midnight downtown rides at times for me and some of my friends, not just the commute.
(12-07-2012, 02:21 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Same way of doing things here to Bill. The tires you see are My favorite 26in. slick, Maxxis xenith 1.5, 85psi and stick like glue. suits my agressive street style of riding and paved down hilling and parking deck racing. Its all about the midnight downtown rides at times for me and some of my friends, not just the commute.

Aww man SERIOUSLY? That sounds like so much fun!!! Big Grin . I gotta come over there sometime and check that out. DH parking deck racing really sounds like fun. Oh yea the tires sounds like they would do the job. Man still up for atleast a trial run of that. Ya peaked my interest today Bob thanks.
Yea Bill, the parking deck racing and sidewalk slaloms are a gas when you have other bikers that like to have some fun and make a game out of it. I am saving for a nice bike cam and will try to make some video's to post when the weather turns nice. I know Robar wants to see me do stupid stuff once in awhileSmile. I have even mulled over buying timing equipment and make an urban sport out of it.
No one has chimed in like I had hoped about more info on this brand of bicycle and ask me why would I take what seems to be a complete bike and use it for parts. Well, there is more to story, I think we on this forum may talked about at some point in time about the way the industry has decided to reinvent tried and true headsets and now mostly go with internal/semi-integrated type headsets and are they better or not. My take is that they may look nicer to some people and are easier and less messy to replace the bearings when the time comes, but better I dunno.
Now that alloy is the chosen one for production frames I have not seen so or heard of so many cracked headtube failures that seem to be to common for my liking and I believe this style of headtube and headset to be the culprit. It is a shame to have one if not the only Superior bicycle in this country and it too has a cracked headtube.
I will start a new forum about this when I start to tear into this bicycle. I want to save the frame because in the US it is not a dime a dozen ride. I did buy the bicycle aware of this failure and if I cannot save the frame I still have a nice groupo of parts that are like new to put on another frame.
I totally understand your outlook on those! I was the one who started that internal vs integrated I believe the name was. Glad you knew of it at the time of purchase. If the headset were differerent then this would be a pretty dang on good ride I bet.
With all the data available about them I can't believe either that people still get the. Install them and ride on them. Reminds me of a line from the movie Forest Gump,"stupid is as stupid does!" Lol. But hey more good parts available right ?
slowly finding out more info about the brand Superior. It seems they are even made in the Czech Republic

KOPRIVNICE, Czech Rep. – The Czech manufacturer Bike Fun International (BFI) with Dutch ownership and management, celebrated its 10th anniversary and the production of the one millionth bike recently at its factory in Kopřivnice.

The millionth bicycle which rolled off the assembly line is the model Rock Machine Tsunami 70. This bike represents the rapidly growing 29-er segment. Next to 29-ers BFI is also focusing on electric bikes. The company developed and designed its own e-bike system. Production has started and electric bikes are presented under the brand names Powerflex and Ecomo for the Dutch market.

In 2001 BFI started to produce mainly children bikes under the brand name Bike Fun Kids for the Benelux markets. The company also began to produce high performance bikes under its own brand name Superior for distribution mainly in the domestic Czech market. In addition to Superior the company also makes bikes of other well-known brands such as Cortina, Golden Lion and Škoda Auto.

In 2008 the STR brand was launched which is focusing on quality bikes for affordable prices to reach a wider range of customers. The following year BFI took over the Rock Machine brand name which is internationally respected for high quality, original design and innovation that reflect the newest trends.

BFI currently holds a strong brand portfolio and will continue to supply a wide range of bikes covering all segments from MTBs to e-bikes as well as junior and kids bikes. This portfolio enables BFI to satisfy any customer requirement in terms of style, features, function and price. With 230 employees the factory in Kopřivnice produces up to 3.000 units a week. BFI distributes their bikes primarily in Europe through a network of distributors. More at: http://www.bikefunint.com
Hey PK finally a full shoot. Looks like a nice bike. The Czechs have always made good stuff even under Russian oppression. They made very nice motorcycles. Jawa and CZ, the CZ BTW also made firearms, still do, like the British BSA motorcycle makers and the Japanese company Bridgestone both started by firearms companies. Bridgestone had great tubes made like gun barrels. The Czech Skoda car you mention was far superior to anything the Russians made.
In the 60's I had a Czech bike the Favorit which was very well made and the high end ones were used in international races. Good luck with it..........Enough time and money can fix it.
Never Give Up!!!
Thanks much for the extra Info. It seemed like a decent ride enough the one time I rode it. The one thing i like the most was that it is a full groupo of deore components. The derailluers, shifters, hubs, Hydraulic brakes, crankset, thats why I bought it for parts plus the bike probably does not even have but a couple hundred miles at the most on it. The guy I bought it from says the airline damaged it, dunno what they could have done to do that but whatever. I think he just may have noticed the crack after it got here. it is hard to see with the cable in front and it only an inch or so fissure. This is the second bicycle I have bought from him and he speaks good english and seems like a good guy. He is a roadie that prefers to ride mtb's with street tires. It also seems the suntour shock on it is a euro thing too. I google the model and its always in some other language. still not a big fan of the sports jersey color scheme but what it is is what it is. I hope I can save it, it is the only one in the hood! I will say one thing, I am more old school mtb but have to admit not much hits harder than a nice set of hydraulic brakes. Pinkie finger control thats for sure