Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Tools required for SunTour Cassette removal
Hi all,

I'm aiming to remove this SunTour Cassette. Beyond a chain whip and wrench, it appears I need a special lockring. From my guesstimate, it seems like 'Cyclo 2 Peg Freewheel Remover' will do the job or some other of 2-notch lockring.

I don't know how common these are at Bike shops and was hoping if anyone can offer some suggestions.
This is a freewheel, not a cassette. You need the standard two post suntour freewheel removal tool. You won't need a chain whip, just either a large wrench or a vise to hold the freewheel remover.

Do yourself a favor when you remove this. Put the axle back in and use the axle nut or quick release skewer to hold the tool tight against the freewheel. As the freewheel screws off you'll need to back off what's holding it. But Suntour tools have a bad tendency to twist out when your trying to unscrew and chew up both the tool and the two notches on the freewheel.
Thanks for the tip! And the clarification about it being a freewheel and not a cassette.
Also park tools has freewheel removers. Their site is http://m.parktool.com/product/freewheel-remover-fr-2 . I believe that's the one. Sorry about the mobile link.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
It is worth paying the shop to remove this one. I strongly recommend replacing it with a Sunrace or IRD freewheel - both of which use the standard Shimano style spline tool. I have had poor experience with recent Shimano freewheels.
Nigel
Well I was able to remove it using the SunTour removal tool. Curious on how I go about servicing the freewheel as its quite noisy and would like to replace the bearings. Would a chain whip and pin spanner open this up to reveal the bearing race?

Can anyone also suggest what type of chain is compatible with this 5-speed freewheel?

Thanks Nigel on the recommendation on replacing the freewheel. I got my hands on this bike after someone tossed to the curb and I'm just looking to learn and overhaul what I can at this point before potentially upgrading some components.
SIGH! Sad . Ok I'll be fair here is a link on how replace the bearings. Before I post it let me warn you it is as (if not more) hard as building a wheel. You have to order the right size bearings, know how many you need, possibly two different size, and reassemble it. Not something even I would ever do, just cheaper to buy a new one. Anyways here you go....
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/707342-Build-a-long-freewheel!!!!-Photo-heavy?highlight=freewheel+rebuild
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Heh, k thanks Bill for the link and point taken Wink
Your welcome.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
Lightbulb
02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Talha

06-23-2020, 04:33 PM
Last Post: oneleggedhipster

03-11-2015, 01:21 AM