Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Slipping/jumping chain
Hey folks,
I recently joined this forum, but I have been lingering for quite some time. That is, until I ran into a problem that wasn't addressed by one of your tutorials. I recently changed the chain on my 70s era schwinn varsity. It was badly stretched, but before getting into bike maintenance I didn't even know that this was an issue.

when I replaced the chain I was careful to insure I didn't create any tight links in the chain. The new chain rode through the gears beautifully when upside down and working on it. however, when I went outside the chain began jumping the flywheel. It did not shift up or down, but simply skipped. This happens more than once per revolution when going up hills. it happens on all gear combinations, but particularly the higher gears, where there is more load on the freewheel
I went back to the LBS who sold me the chain and they blamed my ignorance on how to install a chain. After checking out the chain and admitting there was nothing wrong with how I put the chain on, they told me that the old chain meshed with the freewheel and they wore together. He said that it is then likely that if I go to a new chain, it won't mesh with the old flywheel and I will have to replace the flywheel as well. This will cost 35$ to replace my 5 speed freewheel.

My question is - is this guy yanking my chain? This seems less than plausible to me. the wear on the freewheel is minimal, and the teeth still have largely squared off corners, although I can't say how many miles are on it, or when it dates from. is it possibly a chain - freewheel compatibility issue? I have a Sugino crank, a schwinn front derailleur that looks original the bike, a shimano rear deraileur, but I can't tell the brand of the freewheel.

I tried recycling a 6 speed freewheel bringing it to the LBS to put on, but he said my axle was too short. even after putting some washers? on it.

any help is appreciated

again 10 speed schwinn varisty from the 1970s
I've heard that they do wear together, as the chain stretches it wears down the gears more. Most people I've talked to say when you replace either the crankset, cassette, or the chain you should look into replacing all three at the same time.

That's just what I've heard, you should probably wait for someone else to confirm this. Good luck!
(03-13-2011, 02:17 AM)nameused Wrote:  I've heard that they do wear together, as the chain stretches it wears down the gears more. Most people I've talked to say when you replace either the crankset, cassette, or the chain you should look into replacing all three at the same time.

That's just what I've heard, you should probably wait for someone else to confirm this. Good luck!

Thanks
I do want to emphasize that this is a "beater" bike and I am not looking to put a lot of money into it. Certainly you don't need a new crank every time you change the chain?
(03-13-2011, 02:48 AM)rob L Wrote:  
(03-13-2011, 02:17 AM)nameused Wrote:  I've heard that they do wear together, as the chain stretches it wears down the gears more. Most people I've talked to say when you replace either the crankset, cassette, or the chain you should look into replacing all three at the same time.

Thanks
I do want to emphasize that this is a "beater" bike and I am not looking to put a lot of money into it. Certainly you don't need a new crank every time you change the chain?

The crank doesn't wear as much as the cassette, so most of the time its fine as long as you haven't smashed off any teeth on it
YES, everything wears out together to a greater or lesser degree, it is not unusual to find a new chain will not mesh with the teeth on either the chainset or the freewheel, or both.
The usual procedure is to replace the chain, ride and assess the bike, the rear will probably slip on the smallest ring, replace this and again ride the bike, if you are lucky the chain rings will be ok, if not and the chain slips at the front, then you will also need a new chainset.
A good mechanic will tell you this by carefully examining all the teeth on the freewheel and the chainset, if any of them look hooked, replace.
i think a good shop would've asked you how old the cassette was instead of insulting you by assuming you put the chain on wrong. whose ignorant now?Smile
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
Apologies for hijacking your thread RobL, but I thought it best to keep it all in one rather than start a new one.

My question is, if you put a new chain on a used cassette, will it eventually stop skipping? Or will it always do this?

It's just that it's rather expensive to replace essential components on my bike!

Cheers

Si
(03-18-2011, 04:54 AM)Dalton2250 Wrote:  Apologies for hijacking your thread RobL, but I thought it best to keep it all in one rather than start a new one.

My question is, if you put a new chain on a used cassette, will it eventually stop skipping? Or will it always do this?

It's just that it's rather expensive to replace essential components on my bike!

Cheers

Si

I have not tried it but it has been said that a new chain will wear into old sprockets but then you have to put up with the "jumping", which could be hazardous?
I have just put a new chain on and it jumps badly on all the rear sprockets.
This is the third chain on this sprocket set so I am replacing it.

You have to way up whether to change your chains frequently to save the cassette/chainrings or run them both to the death and change when absolutely needed.
Running to death will also be the death of the chainset as well. Sad
Ride hard or ride home alone!
(03-18-2011, 09:50 AM)cyclerUK Wrote:  I have not tried it but it has been said that a new chain will wear into old sprockets but then you have to put up with the "jumping", which could be hazardous?
I have just put a new chain on and it jumps badly on all the rear sprockets.
This is the third chain on this sprocket set so I am replacing it.

You have to way up whether to change your chains frequently to save the cassette/chainrings or run them both to the death and change when absolutely needed.
Running to death will also be the death of the chainset as well. Sad

I agree with this I've read that if you look after the chain and cassette - you'll probably get 4 cassettes out of a chain, and chainsets/wheels will last ages. Given that chainsets cost much, much more than cassettes, which cost more than chains, I'd rather get my chain replaced regularly.

Also, get one of these to check chain wear:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-chain-wear-tool/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

12-01-2020, 02:10 AM
Last Post: Jesper

07-29-2016, 03:42 PM
Last Post: GeorgeET