Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

HF torque wrench
Hey all,

Some of you might not be aware that I'm somewhat of a tool freak and that means I probably have more tools than I will ever use. But it is always better to have a tool when needed than to run to the tool store every few minutes. Smile

That said, I was in Harbor Freight the other day and picked up a Pittsburgh 1/4" drive torque wrench that measures 20 to 200 inch-pounds for around $20 on sale.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-drive-click-stop-torque-wrench-2696.html

I was wondering if anyone has used this tool. Does it work okay? Seems that the 200 inch-pound capacity might be on the low side when it comes to bicycles. That is only a little over 16 foot-pounds, which is really too small for my foot-pound torque wrench to measure accurately, so my initial thinking was it would be a good tool to have for a wide range of uses.

But since I don't currently have any carbon-fiber bicycles, I don't really know if this tool would work with those or not.

Thanks for your input,
Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
Hi Steve,
I, too, am a tool freak. Even to the point of redundancy at times. :-)
A torque wrench is a very good, almost necessary, tool to have working on newer bicycles; carbon parts or not. You wouldn't believe the use that my Park TW-1 and 2 see. The TW-1, 0-60 inch pounds, is used heavily. So many parts these days - stems, bars, seatpost clamps, etc - have every possible gram removed without sacrificing safety that the only way to maintain that safety is to carefully follow the mfr's specs when installing.

I have an idea! If your sockets don't sell, buy another toolbox and make it a dedicated torque wrench box! LOL

Rob
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Ha-ha-ha, Well this is embarrassing, I just checked how many 1/4" drive socket sets I have and there are 10 FULL SETS in my toolbox ranging from 6-pt shallow SAE to 12-pt deep metric style. So selling one of the two 6-pt deep metric socket sets won't hamper my ability to perform maintenance. Smile

I'm not in any hurry to sell them but thanks for the suggestion. Smile

But I was just looking at Park's torque wrench TW-1, it is up to 60-inch pounds and the TW-2 reaches up to 600-inch pounds. It seems to me that if you are up around 400 or 500-inch pounds then it would be better to just use a foot-pound torque wrench. 480-inch pounds would be 40-foot pounds. So I am still wondering what sort of torque specifications are 'typical' on a bicycle?

Thanks,
Steve
(11-22-2010, 02:51 AM)KC-Steve Wrote:  Ha-ha-ha, Well this is embarrassing,
Well, Steve, it shouldn't be. You're among friends here!

Dig on this, bro http://bikeride.com/torque-specifications/
You'll notice that the majority of torque specs are under 100 In lbs until you hit drivetrain stuff. If you'll do a search for 'bicycle torque specs', you'll find an almost infinite amount of info, some even from the Mfr's themselves.

Two very important rules to remember when playing with a TW... (1) a wrench is most accurate within the middle 70% of its range. (2) always be sure to properly lubricate (not too much, not too little and with the proper lube) the fasteners that you are torquing. A dry bolt can give a false reading higher than what is actually being applied, due to friction.

I hope you feel better soon!

Rob
Thanks Rob, Yup, it looks like that Harbor Freight torque wrench might be a perfect mid-size with a range of 20 to 200 inch pounds. Accurate usable range of roughly 40 to 180.

That means I'll have to buy the Park TW-1, Big Grin so I have an excuse for more tools!

Thanks again,
Steve
(11-22-2010, 09:29 PM)KC-Steve Wrote:  That means I'll have to buy the Park TW-1, Big Grin so I have an excuse for more tools!

Oh crap. Man. Honestly. I was Trying to help. Really.
No problem, we're just feeding our tool collecting addictions. Smile

Steve
(11-23-2010, 10:21 PM)KC-Steve Wrote:  ...just feeding our tool collecting addictions...

Huh? What tools? This old wrench in my new boot? I didn't buy that. I have had it for years. I took it out of the package and put it in my boot so that... it would smell old, I guess. I hope no ladies read that! I really do.
Happy Thanksgiving to Kansas City, MO (and that other side over by Mission)
Steve, hey Steve.... did you torque something, Steve? Torque something, Steve! What are you going to torque, Steve? Will you torque it right now, Steve?

Seriously! Have ya?? Reviews are cool. Smile
good to know im not the only one with a tool fetish. wait a minute, that didnt sound good at all!Smile my wife just gave me heck today for buying tools so close to christmas. "you take away all my ideas".
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
He-he, well THIS thread went to the dogs fast. Smile Speaking of Christmas gifts, did anyone buy any tools on Black Friday? I bought not one, but TWO, Cen-Tech infrared thermometers for $19.99, marked down from $60 at Harbor Freight. I figured if it's good enough to check a welded object's temp in the garage then it will also be good for verifying a gas griddle's temp in the kitchen, therefore I needed two. Smile

RobAR, I'll get back with you on a "review" of the torque wrench. Right now I am getting some Monday morning things accomplished.

I did go ahead and put a bug in a family member's ear about the Park TW-1 for Christmas, since our recent discussion. Smile

Thanks,
Steve
I have both the TW-1 and TW-2 nice to have them too.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
Agreed I love tools!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
yes agreed....good maintain on your cycle...I would suggest a company who supplies extensive range of welding equipment, welding helmets, plasma welding machines, mig tig welders, stick & spot welders, multi-process welders in Taizhou, Zhejiang, China.

Possibly Related Threads...