Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Front Derailleur Won't Move
Hi, I just recently got a used bike from a local store in my city and rode it a couple times noticing that the front derailleur won't move at all when I try to shift it with the left shifter. I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to bike mechanics so please bare with me. I have been thinking about just taking it to a local bike shop but I really would like to fix it myself. I have adjusted the two limit screws to see if that fixed it but it still doesn't budge. Thank you for whoever can help me.
The cable is probably corroded. You can a replacement cable at your LBS, or even Wal-mart. Make sure you remove the metal cable from the housing, and lubricate the cable with a light grease. This will prevent it from corroding solid.
Nigel
It doesn't look corroded though. The bike has barely been used by whoever else had it so it's still pretty new. Would corrosion be a pretty obvious thing to see when it comes to bike cables? Thank you for your time and your help.
(09-28-2010, 04:42 PM)taylorj26 Wrote:  Hi, I just recently got a used bike from a local store in my city and rode it a couple times noticing that the front derailleur won't move at all when I try to shift it with the left shifter. I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to bike mechanics so please bare with me. I have been thinking about just taking it to a local bike shop but I really would like to fix it myself. I have adjusted the two limit screws to see if that fixed it but it still doesn't budge. Thank you for whoever can help me.

Try removing the cable from the front deraileur then pulling it back and forth through the housing, get some lube like "Cable Magic" and put that on the cable, then adjust the cable tension. also try lubing the deraileur. It could just be stuck and probably is if it hasn't been used for a long time. Looks can sometimes be deceiving, so clean and lube would be the first thing to do.

Then adjust the cable tension and then adjust the limit screws. Make sure the rear is correct before trying to adjust the front as you will need all the rear gears to make sure the front is working right.

There are numerous videos on youtube that will show you how to adjust the deraileur and the cable tension
Join me to discuss anything cycling at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/the-bicycle-nut
Did you check this before you bought it? if you bought from a LBS they will probably sort it for you.
If the FD will move if you push it by hand, it's the cable or the shifter.
If it won't move at all, it's rusted up, if it will but the shifter won't, check the shifter lever isn't fouling on anything, like the brake lever? and/or replace the cable and the outers as well.
In my opinion, you are usually wasting your time trying to free up rusted parts, replace them.
i had a problem on my bike were the outer cable's inside was catching on the inner cable, that didnt allow me to up gear.

Possibly Related Threads...