Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

1989 Miyata Skyrunner
Time to pull out the 89' Miyata Skyrunner. What a beautiful bike it will be. Funny how I aquired it a few years ago. i had a gentleman approach me wanting a bicycle to cruise around town in and had roughly $350 to spend. So I hit the pavement and found this Skyrunner for $150. Not ridden much and sitting neglected for who knows how long, but had a pretty full top of the line DeoreXt groupo, Japans finest group and Bicycle brand. I knew that this is a bicycle properly done up will hold value for many years to come. even gutted and sold parted out would bring back every pennie if not twice over. You simply cannot achieve this with any new bicycle ever. Its like riding and owning a bicycle for as long as you want for basically free if you ever decide to sell. One of the biggest reasons to own a highend vintage Mtb repurposed as a city/commuter/fitness ride.
Well this bicycle meet all the demands he was looking for in a bicycle. He knows my expertise in these types of bicycles and trusts my judgemnt, but the one thing he could not get past was the color no matter how much I begged him that is was totally cool and expexted in a fine vintage ride such as this. non the less he passed and purchased a different bicycle from me instead.
After finding this bicycle for him, I at that point could not walk away from it so I bought it. (Like I need another bike)
I found a hairline fissure in the seat post after I got it home. Yes, even the best of us don't always catch everything all of the time. The post was not however a DeoreXt like most of the bike, so no biggie. I searched and found a NOS DeoreXt post the right size and had it shipped in from another country. A hard hit @ $140 us. but thats the way it goes sometimes if you need it, get it!
So now I am ready to find some time to get her refurbed. Here are a couple shots of things to come. Full gut job, clean, polish, and hand rub the frame..etc. Kicking the sheen up a couple notches
on this beauty will help a ton' Long over due! I will post more pics along the way.

Attached Files Image(s)

There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Looks lovely. Let's have some pix of the entire bike, please! Smile
(12-06-2023, 03:39 AM)enkei Wrote:  Looks lovely. Let's have some pix of the entire bike, please! Smile
Thanks, as soon as it becomes entire again. Lots of fluffing to do yet. lol
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Almost done with the frame and wheels. Now its time to plan the build and round up everything i want for the build. This ole girl gets the best from my storage shelves. Lots of Nos Shimano DeoreXT goodies like a new DeroreXt rear derailluer, new rear DeoreXt HG90 12/28 cassette, new DeoreXt rapidfire STi combo shifter/levers, and a New Simano Deore crankset. All of era. Doesn't get any better than this.

Attached Files Image(s)

And the goodies start to go on. A little polishing on the brakes, some spot polishing on the frame then good to go. here are a couple pics of the progress. The paint on this bike was one of the worst I have come across in a while, but shined up pretty decent overall considering its a 35yr old bike.

Attached Files Image(s)

You seem to be planning an amazing project with the 1989 Miyata Skyrunner! Your acquisition narrative gives the bike a special touch, and it's clear that you're excited about updating and renovating it.
It's a terrific idea to convert it to a city, commuter, or fitness ride, and the fact that you're putting in the time and effort to restore and upgrade it will probably make it a unique and fun bike.
From cleaning and polishing to replacing components, refurbishing ancient bikes can be a fulfilling experience. Finding a NOS DeoreXt seat post, for example, demonstrates your attention to detail and dedication to preserving the bike's originality and excellence.
Thanks Talha, I try to do a decent job so the next owner has a good kickstart on a trouble free bicycle. Love the Mid 80's to mid 90's era of road and mtbs
Another one in the books, what a nice user it will be once again.

Attached Files Image(s)