Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

A lot more people are bikepacking
Years ago, there were not a lot of bikepackers. It seems, with people learning more about other parts of the world, and people sharing bikepacking experiences on the internet, more people are now bikepacking.

Some people travel by bike and camp in tents. Others travel long distances by bike, but stay in hotels and similar places of accommodation.

Some people travel by public transport, such as buses, and hire bikes at their destination. But people have been doing this for years.

Some people travel for a few months. Others travel for years.

Some people don't have a lot of savings, so they need to camp out.

One bikepacker recently told me it was a cheap way of living. If you compare the cost of renting a home in one of the first world countries, bikepacking is a less expensive way of living. Plus you get to see interesting places, and meet interesting people.

The best bikepacking bikes use the pinion gearbox.

https://forums.bikeride.com/thread-8654.html
I always looked at bike packing as more of an adventure that’s like backpacking but you can cover more ground and see more places but I could definitely see that being cheaper then renting as long as you could find a way to work while bike packing? Do you people work and bike pack year around as a lifestyle?
(10-26-2023, 02:16 PM)Lss555 Wrote:  Do you people work and bike pack year around as a lifestyle?

Most people who bike pack have been working, and have saved enough money. A small proportion look for work as they travel. I met one bikepacker recently who was planning to teach English. I met an old man traveling the world, who would have been on a pension.

A lot of bikepackers only do it for a few months, then return home to work. Some people travel for years. I met one family recently who had been bikepacking for 3 years, and was planning to continue for another 2 years or more, before returning home. After that they were planning another adventure, which still involved traveling.

I don't bike pack. I travel to a destination, and pay for accommodation. I use a bike to travel to the places I can reach in one day, and return to my room in the evening. I like a comfortable room, and prefer to stay in one place longer. You can get to know people, and make friends.
Hello ichitan, thanks for starting this discussion. I have been teaching Englihs, Kannada and Hindi while bikepacking..:-) It truly has been a wonderful "life" or "lifestyle". Right now I am on another bilpeacking trip in my state of Karnataka, India and so far it's been a wonderful experience. Incidentally during 3-days of riding, I took two English classes..:-)

(10-26-2023, 03:22 PM)ichitan Wrote:  
(10-26-2023, 02:16 PM)Lss555 Wrote:  Do you people work and bike pack year around as a lifestyle?

Most people who bike pack have been working, and have saved enough money. A small proportion look for work as they travel. I met one bikepacker recently who was planning to teach English. I met an old man traveling the world, who would have been on a pension.

A lot of bikepackers only do it for a few months, then return home to work. Some people travel for years. I met one family recently who had been bikepacking for 3 years, and was planning to continue for another 2 years or more, before returning home. After that they were planning another adventure, which still involved traveling.

I don't bike pack. I travel to a destination, and pay for accommodation. I use a bike to travel to the places I can reach in one day, and return to my room in the evening. I like a comfortable room, and prefer to stay in one place longer. You can get to know people, and make friends.

Hello lss555, for me this bilepacking trip has been about seeing more parts of the India I was born and grew-up in. So, I have been freelancing, writing and try to experience life. I have met a lot of interesting folks one whole even invited and fed me lunch in his place, just yesterday. The day before I rode a national-level gold medalist in Volleyball.

(10-26-2023, 02:16 PM)Lss555 Wrote:  I always looked at bike packing as more of an adventure that’s like backpacking but you can cover more ground and see more places but I could definitely see that being cheaper then renting as long as you could find a way to work while bike packing? Do you people work and bike pack year around as a lifestyle?

Attached Files Image(s)

Ichitan, just curious if you are "advertising" for pinion gears..:-)?

(10-26-2023, 06:10 AM)ichitan Wrote:  Years ago, there were not a lot of bikepackers. It seems, with people learning more about other parts of the world, and people sharing bikepacking experiences on the internet, more people are now bikepacking.

Some people travel by bike and camp in tents. Others travel long distances by bike, but stay in hotels and similar places of accommodation.

Some people travel by public transport, such as buses, and hire bikes at their destination. But people have been doing this for years.

One bikepacker recently told me it was a cheap way of living. If you compare the cost of renting a home in one of the first world countries, bikepacking is a less expensive way of living. Plus you get to see interesting places, and meet interesting people.

Ichitan, just curious if you are "advertising" for pinion gears..:-)?

(10-26-2023, 06:10 AM)ichitan Wrote:  Years ago, there were not a lot of bikepackers. It seems, with people learning more about other parts of the world, and people sharing bikepacking experiences on the internet, more people are now bikepacking.

(10-27-2023, 04:18 AM)GirishH Wrote:  Ichitan, just curious if you are "advertising" for pinion gears..:-)?

No. I have no connection to the company which makes Pinion gearboxes, or any of the bike manufactures which use them.

If you do your research, you will probably agree, they are the best. They are also expensive, compared to what many of us spend.

When you travel for a long time, you want a strong bike that will not break.

For people who don't want to spend that much money, get a strong bike, with which the parts are readily available. So it is easy to buy spare parts during your travels.
(10-27-2023, 02:03 AM)GirishH Wrote:  Hello ichitan, thanks for starting this discussion. I have been teaching Englihs, Kannada and Hindi while bikepacking..:-) It truly has been a wonderful "life" or "lifestyle". Right now I am on another bilpeacking trip in my state of Karnataka, India and so far it's been a wonderful experience. Incidentally during 3-days of riding, I took two English classes..:-)

(10-26-2023, 03:22 PM)ichitan Wrote:  

Hello lss555, for me this bilepacking trip has been about seeing more parts of the India I was born and grew-up in. So, I have been freelancing, writing and try to experience life. I have met a lot of interesting folks one whole even invited and fed me lunch in his place, just yesterday. The day before I rode a national-level gold medalist in Volleyball.

(10-26-2023, 02:16 PM)Lss555 Wrote:  I always looked at bike packing as more of an adventure that’s like backpacking but you can cover more ground and see more places but I could definitely see that being cheaper then renting as long as you could find a way to work while bike packing? Do you people work and bike pack year around as a lifestyle?

That’s sick just cruising India, doing freelance and living life 🤘🏼
(10-27-2023, 02:03 AM)GirishH Wrote:  Hello ichitan, thanks for starting this discussion. I have been teaching Englihs, Kannada and Hindi while bikepacking..:-) It truly has been a wonderful "life" or "lifestyle". Right now I am on another bilpeacking trip in my state of Karnataka, India and so far it's been a wonderful experience. Incidentally during 3-days of riding, I took two English classes..

Do you teach English for money?

I have been casually teaching English, sometimes at English schools, sometimes just assisting students at home, but not for money. I just help on a casual basis.

People wanting to earn money teaching English normally need to commit to doing it for some time, like a number of months.
Hello Ichitan, I began teaching languages (English, Kannada, Hindi) online, primarily to support my travels and explore ways to stay employed. During my time in Ecuador, I volunteered to teach English to children in a village that embraced me. Although I was offered a teaching position in the same village, they required a commitment of at least a year or two, which I couldn't accept.

As I teach online, I can continue to travel by bike and earn a modest income. Unfortunately, I lack other skills to sustain a living, so teaching remains my primary avenue..

(10-30-2023, 09:53 AM)ichitan Wrote:  
(10-27-2023, 02:03 AM)GirishH Wrote:  Hello ichitan, thanks for starting this discussion. I have been teaching Englihs, Kannada and Hindi while bikepacking..:-) It truly has been a wonderful "life" or "lifestyle". Right now I am on another bilpeacking trip in my state of Karnataka, India and so far it's been a wonderful experience. Incidentally during 3-days of riding, I took two English classes..

Do you teach English for money?

I have been casually teaching English, sometimes at English schools, sometimes just assisting students at home, but not for money. I just help on a casual basis.

People wanting to earn money teaching English normally need to commit to doing it for some time, like a number of months.
I was hoping to join the bike packing ranks this year but ended up working too much. Roll on, Spring '24!!! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post