Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the September Giveaway to Win the Luckeep X1 Pro ebike

Have you learned to fall?
At some point, we're going to wipe out, stack, crash, whatever you want to call it.

Over the years, I've hit the dirt many, many times through lack of ability, bad luck, etc.

Can you learn to hit the ground in such a way that you limit hurting yourself?
(09-09-2024, 12:31 AM)Flowrider Wrote:  At some point, we're going to wipe out, stack, crash, whatever you want to call it.

Over the years, I've hit the dirt many, many times through lack of ability, bad luck, etc.

Master the art of tuck and roll my friend
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
All my riding now is on my trikes. I dont worry too much, since I dont have too far to fall.
(09-09-2024, 05:45 AM)Painkiller Wrote:  Master the art of tuck and roll my friend

This is sage advice.

In my teens, I went to stunt school to learn how to perform everything from bar brawls and free falls to being thrown out of a moving vehicle. The tuck and roll I learned there has stood me in good stead, and was polished further in Aikido classes.

To the extent that one afternoon, about 25 years ago, 3 or 4 of us cycled a few miles to celebrate a mate's impending marriage. Cycling back at night along the Thames in the dark and much worse for wear, we hit a patch of gravel and I went down. I can't recall why I went down, but that is immaterial.

However, despite my being terrifically drunk (and perhaps other) my tuck and roll was so majestic, that not only did I suffer not so much as a scratch, I even had the presence of mind and dexterity to hold the bike up as I fell and rolled, so the bike was fine, too.

I still have no idea how I managed that.
(09-09-2024, 06:36 PM)enkei Wrote:  
(09-09-2024, 05:45 AM)Painkiller Wrote:  Master the art of tuck and roll my friend

This is sage advice.

In my teens, I went to stunt school to learn how to perform everything from bar brawls and free falls to being thrown out of a moving vehicle. The tuck and roll I learned there has stood me in good stead, and was polished further in Aikido classes.

To the extent that one afternoon, about 25 years ago, 3 or 4 of us cycled a few miles to celebrate a mate's impending marriage. Cycling back at night along the Thames in the dark and much worse for wear, we hit a patch of gravel and I went down. I can't recall why I went down, but that is immaterial.

However, despite my being terrifically drunk (and perhaps other) my tuck and roll was so majestic, that not only did I suffer not so much as a scratch, I even had the presence of mind and dexterity to hold the bike up as I fell and rolled, so the bike was fine, too.

Nice! Love it! I have many experiences like that myself. It just becomes automatic. Probably the most valuable protection I have ever needed are the 3/4 finger gloves with a padded palm, I would not care as much if I forgot my helmet but my gloves , got to have those!
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(09-09-2024, 10:20 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  Nice! Love it! I have many experiences like that myself. It just becomes automatic. Probably the most valuable protection I have ever needed are the 3/4 finger gloves with a padded palm, I would not care as much if I forgot my helmet but my gloves , got to have those!

Yep. I'm a huge fan of those gloves.
Depending on the technical track I'm about to ride, I'll wear gloves, knee and elbow pads. Give me more confidence to hit A lines Smile
I dont have far to fall as I posted, but I do wear a helmet, and have a flag on my trike. If a car should hit me, and I sue, the first thing the drivers att is going to ask, was he wearing an helmet, and did he have a flag on that low trike. If you can answer yes to both questions, his lawyer will not be able to say I was partly to blame. Those two things will take the wind out of his sails.
Great topic, @Flowrider.

I usually try to drop the bike and be able to walk away, not get stuck under the wiped-out bike. For that reason (or fear), despite their many advantages, I have avoided using clipped-in shoes.

I'm unsure how many pounds or kilograms I had on this bike, but I came out unscathed. Being a scaredy-cat, I ride pretty slowly as well. As a result, I burn through my brakes a lot, but I stay safe.

(09-09-2024, 12:31 AM)Flowrider Wrote:  At some point, we're going to wipe out, stack, crash, whatever you want to call it.

Wow, I wish I had gone to stunt school as well... :-( As a kid, I wiped out a few times on gravel and sand, and I still have the scars to prove it... :-(

Now, I ride slowly and am always ready to jump away to avoid getting stuck under the bike if I fall. I mostly wear long sleeves on my legs and arms, so my skin is usually protected in case of a fall or wipeout.

(09-09-2024, 06:36 PM)enkei Wrote:  

This is sage advice.

Attached Files Image(s)

Try to relax as much as you can, avoid putting your hands out to break your fall (that's how you get wrist injuries), and aim to spread out the impact.
Good point about wearing cleats. I used to when I did a lot of roads. I feel that the pull-up on the up stroke helped, especially up hills. But don't now as I'm totally off road and on the dirt tracks only.

Don't wear cleats, I guess mainly for confidence as the fraction of a second delay releasing the foot helps me in the fall. This is probably more for my confidence.

Going to a stunt school would have been amazing!

I did judo, where they taught you how to land on the mat when thrown.

I use this method when I stack.

Basically, it's the relax technique you and don't brace yourself before hitting the ground.

It's incredible how calm you mind becomes as well.
Master the art of tuck and roll my friend
[/quote]

Tuck and roll is the best advice. And don't tense up while crashing, go with the flow, in other words be like water.
Wag more, bark less

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post