Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the October Giveaway to Win the Qiolor TIGER Retro Electric Bike

How do you commute on bikes in rougher areas?
I am talking about places where the road has potholes and stuff like that.
(08-26-2024, 02:20 AM)sabrina92 Wrote:  I am talking about places where the road has potholes and stuff like that.

Depending on road condition and bike type and tire size you need to ride slower and improve your cycling skills (weaving and hopping) should you wish to ride faster. Having intimate knowledge of the road and being able to avoid or prepare for the worst spots is a big advantage. Suspension might help in many cases, but it might also be overkill, especially depending on use of the bike in a different setting that has "good" sufaces compared to those you encounter at present. Wider tires and/or lower tire pressure can help also; but again, you need to consider how else the bike might be used.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Welcome, @sabrina92. I commuted from the suburbs of Boston into the city for work for over 10 years. My road bike and hybrid would all get flats. There were lots of potholes and junk on the roads. For my long-distance road bike, I switched to Gatorskin tires, and that helped a bit. Eventually, I switched to a fat tire bike, and I must admit I didn't get many flats. Wider tires helped. So, should you try hybrid or mountain bike tires for commuting? Yes, they have more friction, and your speed is compromised, but how fast can you go in the city during commuting hours? I would hit a lot of traffic and traffic signals, and getting to work without smelling like a sweaty animal was my goal. :-)

Where do you commute?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

03-03-2020, 11:31 AM
Last Post: baller

02-27-2020, 12:46 PM
Last Post: Aab