Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the August Giveaway to Win the SAVA Aurora V3.0 Carbon Road Bike

Naming a bicycle - Yes or No?
What do you think about giving your bicycle a name?

Do all your bicycles have names? If yes, please let us know what they are called.

Personally, I've never done it, though I think it can be fun (especially if the name includes a pun), and I guess it can help you develop a closer "bond" with your bike and then ride more often.

I'm interested in finding out what you guys think.
(07-16-2024, 09:38 AM)Dusan Wrote:  What do you think about giving your bicycle a name?

Do all your bicycles have names? If yes, please let us know what they are called.

Personally, I've never done it, though I think it can be fun (especially if the name includes a pun), and I guess it can help you develop a closer "bond" with your bike and then ride more often.

I'm interested in finding out what you guys think.

Mine is simply " The Beast" ! It's got me through so much, there's actually a sentimental attachment. I know I should upgrade but....
Only one: "The Death Machine" or "The Death Dragster":

All others are pretty much their model and color; e.g. green Super, blue Super, black Sports, etc. Some have great model names in and of themselves; e.g. "X Status", "Garabaldina", "Hardrock", and "Favorit".
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
@Flowrider I think naming your bike makes it even harder to upgrade and replace it because the name gives it even more sentimental value

@Jesper That Nishiki really does deserve an appropriate name. Smile At the moment I'm riding a Cube Nuroad, which is actually a name in and of itself, as you mention. I just call it The Cube, which makes sense as the tubing is pretty squarish.
I was never into naming my bikes until I decided to start blogging and needed to come up with a name. I chose Mr. Gordo (Mister Fatso) as in Colombia where I was riding at that time, "Gordo" referred to these fat and huge countryside roosters.

@Dusan, I agree with you. Because I have named my bike and have such great memories with it, I have a hard time riding another bike or replacing it.

(07-18-2024, 05:36 AM)Dusan Wrote:  @Flowrider I think naming your bike makes it even harder to upgrade and replace it because the name gives it even more sentimental value

@Jesper That Nishiki really does deserve an appropriate name. Smile At the moment I'm riding a Cube Nuroad, which is actually a name in and of itself, as you mention. I just call it The Cube, which makes sense as the tubing is pretty squarish.

Attached Files Image(s)

(07-18-2024, 05:36 AM)Dusan Wrote:  @Flowrider I think naming your bike makes it even harder to upgrade and replace it because the name gives it even more sentimental value

Totally agree! I'm going to upgrade but still going to keep the "Beast" Why? Smile
@GirishH That's a pretty fitting name for a fat bike Smile
Haha, thanks, @Dusan. Interestingly, my riding buddies started calling me that name while we were in Colombia. But I'm 6 feet tall and 145 lbs (so very slender/thin) and I don't eat chicken or meat. So, I gave that name to my bicycle instead, as it seemed more apt for it. :-)

(07-22-2024, 05:56 AM)Dusan Wrote:  @GirishH That's a pretty fitting name for a fat bike Smile
Yup, all mine have names, names like Lynskey, Masi, Raleigh, Trek, Schwinn, Fuji, Dawes, Miyata, and Giant. The funny thing about that is that these names technically would be the last name in human terms, and the model would be its first name, ah, but who cares?
Wag more, bark less
Hello @froze, funny names..:-) Just curious if you just go with the name of the manufacturer or jumble the names up so a Giant is a Fuji...:-)

(08-29-2024, 11:11 PM)froze Wrote:  Yup, all mine have names, names like Lynskey, Masi, Raleigh, Trek, Schwinn, Fuji, Dawes, Miyata, and Giant. The funny thing about that is that these names technically would be the last name in human terms, and the model would be its first name, ah, but who cares?
I've never been one for naming bikes, cars or any other inanimate object, but I do find it interesting to hear what other people name theirs.
you do not decide this, the bike will tell you what it's name is but if it doesn't speak to you we do not have the right to decide on its name, it'll only speak to us when we are ready

PS: this is a joke btw
(08-29-2024, 11:11 PM)froze Wrote:  Yup, all mine have names, names like Lynskey, Masi, Raleigh, Trek, Schwinn, Fuji, Dawes, Miyata, and Giant. The funny thing about that is that these names technically would be the last name in human terms, and the model would be its first name, ah, but who cares?

hahaha lmao
I am with you @meamoantonio and @enkei. It was others who gave my bike its name because of its appearance.

But I indeed have a stronger connection to it because it has a name and I have a hard time riding another bike because I feel so connected to it..

(08-31-2024, 03:18 AM)meamoantonio Wrote:  you do not decide this, the bike will tell you what it's name is but if it doesn't speak to you we do not have the right to decide on its name, it'll only speak to us when we are ready

PS: this is a joke btw
As a child I called my Huffy; Puffy.

It made me huff and puff trying to keep up with my friend that had a nice Raleigh "English Racer".
-Jeff
I don't personally, but there's nothing wrong with that.

I like to put a Waifu sticker on seat tube as my finishing touch.
For me, this has been the perfect finishing touch.

I would put it in the vein of naming your bike (which I have actually done recently too).

Attached Files Image(s)