Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the July Giveaway to Win the Luckeep X1 Foldable Ebike

Philodo H8
I have owned this bike for 8 months. I have had no issues with quality or performance. Some people have claimed 35mph. I'm getting 32 max. on level smooth surface. But that isn't an issue for me, 32mph is moving! The 8 reasons not to own this bike are non starters for me, those reasons are insignificant as far as real complaints against an e-bike. The bike rack isn't that big of a deal, at least it wasn't for me. As far as being illegal because of the dual 1,000 watt motors? Give me a break, no one cares. This bike is rugged and well built. The electronics are stout and the connections are well designed and built. We live in an area that is 2,200 feet above sea level. The roads I ride are down the hill as we say. Coming back home is 4 miles up hill and the pro riders with their $8,000 2lb. bikes have a workout coming up the hill. At my age of almost 68, I set this bike on #2 assist and get a great workout up that 4 miles back home. Feel the burn in my knees and thighs but only using 60% effort for 100% result. I'm okay with that. I'll let these young buck triathletes do what they do coming up the hill. And some days, I just want to ride it like a motorcycle around neighborhood. That's the fun of having a bike that not only is great for exercise, but just plain old fun! For all around riding conditions, and for the money, you cant beat this bike, it's a winner!
wonder how long she will last, basically looks like a kit bike that has the work done for you with subtle in design features of the frame to make it come together in a better package. One thing for sure is you do not want to buy any of the the non electric bicycle parts from them i.e. derailluers/shifters/pedals etc.. as the mark up is insane. Of course the electric components you will be at their mercy should failure occur. Not sure if I would want a fat tire electric for commuting as they tend to put you down in the wet in turns if not careful.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
@Al S. You may not care about your bike's top speed and/or power rating, but many States have State laws and/or local ordinances which limit what maximum speed you allowed to travel at, and where the bike is allowed to be operated (trails, walkways, roads, etc.). You may find that local police do care. In Florida an ebike operated over certain speeds can get you a speeding ticket regardless of the wattage rating. Many cities are creating local ordinances much stricter than the State laws. In many cities are trying to pass 15mph speed limits for all classes of ebikes. I tend to find that police are not overly concerned about ebikes operated in more rural areas, but with the increasing number of ebikes being used both laws and enforcement will become stricter. In Florida you can ride where bikes are allowed unless specifically posted; and even where I ride my bike (no motors) there is a 20mph speed limit on the trail which I could easily exceed. I have never been stopped by the police on that trail, but it is patrolled by the police.
The problem will become more clear once the number of ebikes reaches a certain level and injuries to pedestrians start to increase in urban areas and areas where both types of bikes are now being allowed to travel. Thr main problem I see with ebikers is that they do not use any care or concern for the rules of the road when crossing at intersections occurring on trails/paths. Just waiting to see one get broadsided by a vehicle while on their carefree ride. I have seen the same thing occur to those on regular bikes, but the increase of ebike use will certainly be followed by more blood being spilled by those who do not even know how to properly operate a 2 wheeled vehicle even at much lower speeds.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(05-19-2024, 12:32 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  wonder how long she will last, basically looks like a kit bike that has the work done for you with subtle in design features of the frame to make it come together in a better package. One thing for sure is you do not want to buy any of the the non electric bicycle parts from them i.e. derailluers/shifters/pedals etc.. as the mark up is insane. Of course the electric components you will be at their mercy should failure occur. Not sure if I would want a fat tire electric for commuting as they tend to put you down in the wet in turns if not careful.

Thank you for your response. Yes, I realize everything you said. But that's true with any manufacture of bicycles to cars to trucks. Buying parts from Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge etc. is way over the top expensive. One of the most important things I've learned with 45 years of experience in the automotive industry is NEVER substitute factory electronic sensors and components with aftermarket. And as you mentioned, yes, you can get away with using cheaper aftermarket items or more expensive if you like. Your comment: ". Of course the electric components you will be at their mercy should failure occur." is pretty much every make of anything. There are certain component's that you must get from the manufacture, and yes, you'll pay for it. But all in all, and for the price, I can tell you this bike is very well built. The tolerances, welds and heavy duty components really impressed me. I would actually be more concerned with a skinny tire bike putting me down due to various road conditions that the Fat Tire because the Fat Tire rolls over everything. This Fat Tire is excellent around fast corners although I don't ride it in the rain so I cant comment on that aspect. Because of the 5 power settings, you can custom design your riding leg strength along with the gear selections to pretty much go anywhere and vary your intensity to whatever you want. Dual 1,000 watt motors is like Four Wheel Drive Off Road. The traction and control on loose gravel is amazing. Typically I use very low electric power. This bike is heavy and I have it loaded with a bag mounted on the rear rack with spare parts, tools, cable locks, electric air pump etc., along with other add-ons.
So peddling is more work than a skinny bike. But that's okay cus I love this style of bike and the unlimited places you can go with it.
(05-19-2024, 03:09 PM)Jesper Wrote:  @Al S. You may not care about your bike's top speed and/or power rating, but many States have State laws and/or local ordinances which limit what maximum speed you allowed to travel at, and where the bike is allowed to be operated (trails, walkways, roads, etc.). You may find that local police do care. In Florida an ebike operated over certain speeds can get you a speeding ticket regardless of the wattage rating. Many cities are creating local ordinances much stricter than the State laws. In many cities are trying to pass 15mph speed limits for all classes of ebikes. I tend to find that police are not overly concerned about ebikes operated in more rural areas, but with the increasing number of ebikes being used both laws and enforcement will become stricter. In Florida you can ride where bikes are allowed unless specifically posted; and even where I ride my bike (no motors) there is a 20mph speed limit on the trail which I could easily exceed. I have never been stopped by the police on that trail, but it is patrolled by the police.
The problem will become more clear once the number of ebikes reaches a certain level and injuries to pedestrians start to increase in urban areas and areas where both types of bikes are now being allowed to travel. Thr main problem I see with ebikers is that they do not use any care or concern for the rules of the road when crossing at intersections occurring on trails/paths. Just waiting to see one get broadsided by a vehicle while on their carefree ride. I have seen the same thing occur to those on regular bikes, but the increase of ebike use will certainly be followed by more blood being spilled by those who do not even know how to properly operate a 2 wheeled vehicle even at much lower speeds.

Thank you for your response! I completely agree with you, however here in the San Bernardino County in California, our Law Enforcement has more pressing issues than to be looking for e-bikers and what wattage and speed the bike can produce. How do I know this? Because I have many friends in the Sheriffs Department. Now having said that, most of the people riding on the bike trail that is paved specifically for bikes of all types and joggers and walkers, everyone I have encountered is very respectful. This riding trail covers about 40 miles. If you want to take a look at it, it's called the "Pacific Electric Bike Trail" in Rancho Cucamonga. It goes thru several cities but that's where I catch it cus I live in Rancho. And the "Electric" part of that title has nothing to do with e-bikes. Do you know who I think is the biggest problem on e-bikes? These kids on the motor cross e-bikes. They are very fast and powerful. They are riding wheelies all over the streets. I hope they are really paying attention because they seem to be the ones that will get hurt before people like me on our fat tire beach style cruisers. But, I must admit that when I was their age, we did some pretty stupid things on motorcycles also. But they tend to disregard the rules of the road more than the older more mature folks I see riding. Then to add to that, you have people not paying attention driving their cars because they are on their damn phone's. The mixture of the two can be big problems and the ones on the bikes will always loose that collision! Yes, you are 100%!
E-bikes are fine for things like commuting but have no place in the woods and trails intended for mountain biking and hiking and walking. plain and simple they are a motorized vehicle capable of high speed and impact. They do not belong on sidewalks either. I also think it may be a good time to start making laws for e-bike owners to have liability insurance. If you have one and want to ride off road then go ride where dirt bike motorcycles are allowed to ride or on your own private property and stay away from people.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Well, Have you seen these Mountain Bike Trail riders? Non electric bikes designed for these mountain down hill racing, going very fast! I have never seen, at least around here where we have many off-road hiking and walking trails, one single e-bike on these trails. They don't want to be on these trails. They want to be on designated bike paths or on the street which is perfectly fine. The only bikes I see on sidewalks here are little kids with training wheels with their parents pushing a baby stroller or walking. I never see adults riding any kind of bike on the sidewalks. Maybe you have more of that kind of stuff where you are but don't really see it here. And you make a good point that if you have an e-bike that is like a motocross style, go out to the dessert or areas where off road motor cycles ride. That's where the fun is! But these kids aren't old enough for a drivers license so unless the parents take them to the desert, they ride on the streets here. The streets here are not like in the middle of the city. We are more rural-ish. No excuse, but its not like they are doing this riding in traffic. We are zoned for horses so our streets in the neighborhood are kind of away from everything.
(05-19-2024, 07:19 PM)Al S. Wrote:  Well, Have you seen these Mountain Bike Trail riders? Non electric bikes designed for these mountain down hill racing, going very fast! I have never seen, at least around here where we have many off-road hiking and walking trails, one single e-bike on these trails. They don't want to be on these trails. They want to be on designated bike paths or on the street which is perfectly fine. The only bikes I see on sidewalks here are little kids with training wheels with their parents pushing a baby stroller or walking. I never see adults riding any kind of bike on the sidewalks. Maybe you have more of that kind of stuff where you are but don't really see it here. And you make a good point that if you have an e-bike that is like a motocross style, go out to the dessert or areas where off road motor cycles ride. That's where the fun is! But these kids aren't old enough for a drivers license so unless the parents take them to the desert, they ride on the streets here. The streets here are not like in the middle of the city. We are more rural-ish. No excuse, but its not like they are doing this riding in traffic. We are zoned for horses so our streets in the neighborhood are kind of away from everything.

It is with certainly that laws are changing more rapidly in densely populated areas regarding ebike use, and ebike usage is becoming more popular in all areas (road, off-road) and in all disciplines (commuting, recreation, and competition). Yes, standard bikes can go quite fast; they are designed (high quality performance bikes at least) for it whether descending mountain roads and trails (I have easily gone 45mph myself on a road bike). I now regularly see e-mtb's used on trails closed to ANY motorized vehicles; but the main problem is ebikes using bike lanes and sidewalks (allowed in my area) that are travelling (often on the wrong side/direction) much faster than the regular bike/pedestrian traffic causing accidents. Riders are often not expecting (or experienced riding around) other cyclists, pedestrians, pets, etc. who travelling at much lower speeds. With an increase of use there will also come an increase in regulation. When driving a car, whether in a rural or urban area, there are still speed limits. It is happening with ebike laws and it will continue to spread to all areas sooner or later.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
In my area a motorized bicycle is limited to 20mph no matter the posted speed limit. nearly 100% of motorized bicycle owners I have witnessed do not abide by this most basic law in the least.
(05-20-2024, 02:37 AM)Jesper Wrote:  
(05-19-2024, 07:19 PM)Al S. Wrote:  Well, Have you seen these Mountain Bike Trail riders? Non electric bikes designed for these mountain down hill racing, going very fast! I have never seen, at least around here where we have many off-road hiking and walking trails, one single e-bike on these trails. They don't want to be on these trails. They want to be on designated bike paths or on the street which is perfectly fine. The only bikes I see on sidewalks here are little kids with training wheels with their parents pushing a baby stroller or walking. I never see adults riding any kind of bike on the sidewalks. Maybe you have more of that kind of stuff where you are but don't really see it here. And you make a good point that if you have an e-bike that is like a motocross style, go out to the dessert or areas where off road motor cycles ride. That's where the fun is! But these kids aren't old enough for a drivers license so unless the parents take them to the desert, they ride on the streets here. The streets here are not like in the middle of the city. We are more rural-ish. No excuse, but its not like they are doing this riding in traffic. We are zoned for horses so our streets in the neighborhood are kind of away from everything.

It is with certainly that laws are changing more rapidly in densely populated areas regarding ebike use, and ebike usage is becoming more popular in all areas (road, off-road) and in all disciplines (commuting, recreation, and competition). Yes, standard bikes can go quite fast; they are designed (high quality performance bikes at least) for it whether descending mountain roads and trails (I have easily gone 45mph myself on a road bike). I now regularly see e-mtb's used on trails closed to ANY motorized vehicles; but the main problem is ebikes using bike lanes and sidewalks (allowed in my area) that are travelling (often on the wrong side/direction) much faster than the regular bike/pedestrian traffic causing accidents. Riders are often not expecting (or experienced riding around) other cyclists, pedestrians, pets, etc. who travelling at much lower speeds. With an increase of use there will also come an increase in regulation. When driving a car, whether in a rural or urban area, there are still speed limits. It is happening with ebike laws and it will continue to spread to all areas sooner or later.

100% Totally agree

(05-20-2024, 06:03 AM)Painkiller Wrote:  In my area a motorized bicycle is limited to 20mph no matter the posted speed limit. nearly 100% of motorized bicycle owners I have witnessed do not abide by this most basic law in the least.
If you think about it, 20mph is pretty fast on a bike. I know you know this but 20mph in a car you don't feel it as much as you do on a bike. People feel they are a better judge of the law they are breaking as to it's severity. For example, running a STOP sign. But officer, there was no one in ether direction! The officer will say, "What does the sign say?" STOP! "You didn't stop and therefore here is your ticket." The sign doesn't say only stop when you see others approaching. It says STOP!
The "who cares?" philosophy to rules works fine until you get caught breaking the rules and/or have an accident.

You definitely sound like a sensible person. I wouldn't mind one bit if you were using that bike around me. What I do worry about is the large percentage of morons on foot, on bikes (not just e-bikes, either), and in cars/buses/trucks. For those cases, I'm only too happy to have rules. I just wish they were enforced more consistently. Confused
(05-16-2024, 11:56 PM)Al S. Wrote:  I have owned this bike for 8 months. I have had no issues with quality or performance. Some people have claimed 35mph. I'm getting 32 max. on level smooth surface. But that isn't an issue for me, 32mph is moving! The 8 reasons not to own this bike are non starters for me, those reasons are insignificant as far as real complaints against an e-bike. The bike rack isn't that big of a deal, at least it wasn't for me. As far as being illegal because of the dual 1,000 watt motors? Give me a break, no one cares. This bike is rugged and well built. The electronics are stout and the connections are well designed and built. We live in an area that is 2,200 feet above sea level. The roads I ride are down the hill as we say. Coming back home is 4 miles up hill and the pro riders with their $8,000 2lb. bikes have a workout coming up the hill. At my age of almost 68, I set this bike on #2 assist and get a great workout up that 4 miles back home. Feel the burn in my knees and thighs but only using 60% effort for 100% result. I'm okay with that. I'll let these young buck triathletes do what they do coming up the hill. And some days, I just want to ride it like a motorcycle around neighborhood. That's the fun of having a bike that not only is great for exercise, but just plain old fun! For all around riding conditions, and for the money, you cant beat this bike, it's a winner!

I think I have an answer to the missing 3mph from other peoples claims, at this speed aerodynamics plays a very important part to get that missing 10% of speed, once you start riding more and getting stronger try moving your body a little closer to the handle bar so you get affected with less drag. Should bring you up to that speed no problem! hope this helps!