Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Defective tire causing flats?
Hello,

As some of you know, I ride a fat bike everywhere, even for my bikepacking.

Over the years, I've noticed that the same tire has been getting a lot of flats. Initially, I didn't think much of it, but this time, I found two tiny steel pin-like structures that were embedded strongly into the tire. I had to use pliers to pull them out, and they almost look like the thread of wires one sees when the brake wire frays. Now, I'm starting to wonder if it's a part of this radial-less tire. This tire is special—it's collapsible and can be folded.

Now that I think, most of the prior flats also included similar steel pins.

I plan to contact the manufacturer or the place I bought the cycle from, but I wanted to see if any of you have come across a similar situation

Attached Files Image(s)

I got a lot of flats when riding fat bikes. There is a lot wider area coming in contact with the road, and a lot more chance for punctures. I get a lot fewer punctures when riding a mountain bike.

I have had prickles from plants go into the tire and break off. In most cases you can find them, and remove them. A small proportion may break off completely embedded in the rubber, and can't be found. So you put the tire back on the bike, and ride it. When you ride over a rock, at exactly the location of the prickle, it punctures the tube. You may search hard and find them. You you may not find them and need a new tire.

You may have something similar. The wire may have been on the road, and went into the tire. It may have been there during manufacturing.

I would often patch a fat tube again and again and again. They may not be for sale in some places, and where they are, they may be expensive. Mountain bike tubes are available in more places, and less expensive. After patching one a few times, I may just replace it with a new one.

In the following tube I had over 60 punctures.

Those barbs look like they're from a wire brush.

They shouldn't be from the tire if it's foldable, because that means the bead is made of Kevlar.

The casing is made from stitched fiber, not steel.
Hey Ichitan, your tiube definitely had more patches than mine. My tire has now accumulated around 10 or so patches. Interestingly, it's just this tire, though. The front tube, which has a regular radial tire, rarely ever gets a leak..

(11-17-2023, 10:27 AM)ichitan Wrote:  I got a lot of flats when riding fat bikes. There is a lot wider area coming in contact with the road, and a lot more chance for punctures. I get a lot fewer punctures when riding a mountain bike.

I have had prickles from plants go into the tire and break off. In most cases you can find them, and remove them. A small proportion may break off completely embedded in the rubber, and can't be found. So you put the tire back on the bike, and ride it. When you ride over a rock, at exactly the location of the prickle, it punctures the tube. You may search hard and find them. You you may not find them and need a new tire.

You may have something similar. The wire may have been on the road, and went into the tire. It may have been there during manufacturing.

I would often patch a fat tube again and again and again. They may not be for sale in some places, and where they are, they may be expensive. Mountain bike tubes are available in more places, and less expensive. After patching one a few times, I may just replace it with a new one.

In the following tube I had over 60 punctures.
(11-21-2023, 03:48 AM)GirishH Wrote:  Hey Ichitan, your tiube definitely had more patches than mine. My tire has now accumulated around 10 or so patches.

I had that tube on the bike for a long time. I have worn out a number of tires with that tube in it.
Hello Ichitan, It's interesting that you went through a lot more tires than tubes. Considering the durability of well-made tires compared to tubes, I assumed tubes might have had a rougher life. Isn't it easier to find tubes compared to tires? I'm just curious about your situation and would love to hear your explanation.

(11-21-2023, 08:30 AM)ichitan Wrote:  
(11-21-2023, 03:48 AM)GirishH Wrote:  Hey Ichitan, your tiube definitely had more patches than mine. My tire has now accumulated around 10 or so patches.

I had that tube on the bike for a long time. I have worn out a number of tires with that tube in it.
(11-22-2023, 03:00 AM)GirishH Wrote:  Hello Ichitan, It's interesting that you went through a lot more tires than tubes. Considering the durability of well-made tires compared to tubes, I assumed tubes might have had a rougher life. Isn't it easier to find tubes compared to tires? I'm just curious about your situation and would love to hear your explanation.

Most tubes did fail in a shorter time, and needed to be replaced. This one lasted a long time. This tube is in a tire now, but with so many patches, some start to leak. I ride another bike now, but if I use that bike, I will replace the tube.

I can't buy fat bike tubes in town. I need to travel to the city. So I make them last as long as I can. There is also the cost. If I replaced fat tubes often, it would be expensive. Mountain bike tubes are not so expensive, and I replace them sooner.

Here is a radical idea for you.

Bicycle tire sizes are measured differently to motorcycle tire sizes. 21 inch motorcycle tubes work well in 26 inch fat bikes. They are thicker and stronger, and normally last a long time.

I used motorcycle tubes for some time on my fat bikes. I ran 2.75-21 inch tubes in 26x4 inch tires. I found 2.75 inch wide tubes were stretched more than ideal in 4 inch wide tires. After about a year they would blow.

If you run tires around 3 inches wide, you can run 2.75-21 inch motorcycle tubes on a 26 inch fat bike.

If you come across 21 inch motorcycle tubes as wide as your tires, or nearly as wide as your tires, you could run them with your existing tires.
Thanks, ichitan. I will look into motorcycle tires/tubes. Here in India, I see a lot more motorcycle "tyre" shops compared to bike shops. And, I always wondered if I could use motorcycle tires on my bike. So, I will give them a try.

(11-22-2023, 06:25 AM)ichitan Wrote:  
(11-22-2023, 03:00 AM)GirishH Wrote:  Hello Ichitan, It's interesting that you went through a lot more tires than tubes. Considering the durability of well-made tires compared to tubes, I assumed tubes might have had a rougher life. Isn't it easier to find tubes compared to tires? I'm just curious about your situation and would love to hear your explanation.

Most tubes did fail in a shorter time, and needed to be replaced. This one lasted a long time. This tube is in a tire now, but with so many patches, some start to leak. I ride another bike now, but if I use that bike, I will replace the tube.

I can't buy fat bike tubes in town. I need to travel to the city. So I make them last as long as I can. There is also the cost. If I replaced fat tubes often, it would be expensive. Mountain bike tubes are not so expensive, and I replace them sooner.

Here is a radical idea for you.

Bicycle tire sizes are measured differently to motorcycle tire sizes. 21 inch motorcycle tubes work well in 26 inch fat bikes. They are thicker and stronger, and normally last a long time.

I used motorcycle tubes for some time on my fat bikes. I ran 2.75-21 inch tubes in 26x4 inch tires. I found 2.75 inch wide tubes were stretched more than ideal in 4 inch wide tires. After about a year they would blow.

If you run tires around 3 inches wide, you can run 2.75-21 inch motorcycle tubes on a 26 inch fat bike.

If you come across 21 inch motorcycle tubes as wide as your tires, or nearly as wide as your tires, you could run them with your existing tires.
Hey ichitan, got to love your dedication to riding these bikes! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...