Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Riding in the rain
Do you guys ever ride in the rain?

Just went for a ride in the rain a few days ago, just kind of impulsively, was kind of bored and it dumping rain out but didn’t really have anything better to do. Usually stay in if it’s raining but every once in while it’s kind of fun to just throw on some old cloths and ride in the mud and puddles. Anyone here have fun riding in the rain?
(05-06-2023, 07:14 AM)Lss555 Wrote:  Do you guys ever ride in the rain?

Normally not. There may sometimes be situations when I have to get home, and it started raining. It can be more dangerous, because of poorer visibility, and the road is slippery. If you ever ride in the rain intentionally, you would want to do it in a place where there is very little, or no traffic. In cold weather you could finish up sick.
Back in my heydays I rode in all weather. Training rides and commuting required it. There was only two occasions that I had a ball doing it. One was a 15 mile commute home from work in a raging storm. Huge amount of rain to the point I was unable to see more than 50 feet down the road. Thunder and lightning, the whole works.
The other time was a training ride with my daughter. Once again it was a banger of a storm. We laughed the whole time out there.
Now I no longer ride in the rain. Period. Hate having to detail the bike afterwards.
Riding in the rain is feel-bad, as I know is costs all the components some performance damage after.

Riding after the rain I love, although the same it true to a smaller degree.

Just went for a ride in the rain a few days ago, just kind of impulsively, was kind of bored and it dumping rain out but didn’t really have anything better to do. Usually stay in if it’s raining but every once in while it’s kind of fun to just throw on some old cloths and ride in the mud and puddles. Anyone here have fun riding in the rain?

Yes! Its even more relaxing for some reason , i dont really mind getting wet as long as its still visible I'll ride out even in a storm
(05-07-2023, 07:37 PM)jeffg Wrote:  Back in my heydays I rode in all weather. Training rides and commuting required it. There was only two occasions that I had a ball doing it. One was a 15 mile commute home from work in a raging storm. Huge amount of rain to the point I was unable to see more than 50 feet down the road. Thunder and lightning, the whole works.
The other time was a training ride with my daughter. Once again it was a banger of a storm. We laughed the whole time out there.
Now I no longer ride in the rain. Period. Hate having to detail the bike afterwards.

Yeah gotta clean your bike/re oil and grease everything up which a bit of a hassle but as long as you’re having a good time, can’t complain I suppose. Thunder and lighting though that’d be pretty sketchy lol
I had a situation recently, when I was resting at a drink stop. Dark clouds came over. At first I thought it probably wouldn't rain. Later it became clear, there was a storm coming. The shortest way home was a track which turns to mud when it rains. I decided to get going. I got most of the way through the track, and it started raining. After going a bit further, I was able to shelter from the rain. I went the rest of the way home, after the storm.
Too many nice days here in Florida. Occasionally I'll get caught in the rain during a ride because a stray cloud might have passed over us. I didn't mind MTB in the snow, back in the day, but now I will jump on my Spin bike if I really need to train.

Like many people, I do enjoy riding in the rain because many a times nobody else is riding so I get the feeling of being that "one" guy..:-) But I do worry about bike/parts rusting so so it less often than I would like to.

Sadly, many auto drivers forget how to drive in the raid or rain reduces their visibility. So, riding a bike because quite dangerous..so I become more cautious when I have to ride in the rain.

My best riding in the rain experience was in South America where after realizing our rain gear were no match to the rain/storms , we bought ponchos. I felt like a flying nun. This particular day, we were heading out of the Cotopaxi National Park and it was downpouring and really chilly. Visibility was low, but we had to move on and we did. Felt so good to ride out the storm and out of the clouds.

As we exited the national park, it cleared out and we started seeing blue skies and such. What a beautiful day and different experiences within a span of 20-30 minutes.