Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Everesting show of hands
Hey guys, im interested in doing an Everesting attempt within this year,if you dont know what it is, it's basically choosing a climb and doing laps on it until you reach
4,424m of elevation (base camp) or 8,848m of elevation (full everesting). Its deceptively simple but very very difficult to achieve, this activity is slowly gaining traction in the Philippines but im interested to see if the rest of the world is pretty familiar with this or if it is a new thing totally.

What are your thoughts?
Never heard of everesting before but seems like a pretty cool idea actually. I could see people doing races with this kind of set up. Have you tried 1000m or anything, just to see how it goes? How long does it usually take to do a half Everest?
This is my first time hearing about everesting. I've participated in half ironman events and I know a lot about full ironman events, endurance cycling and triathlons. This is coming as a shock. I'll research about this. Thanks!
(03-27-2023, 09:19 AM)Lss555 Wrote:  Never heard of everesting before but seems like a pretty cool idea actually. I could see people doing races with this kind of set up. Have you tried 1000m or anything, just to see how it goes? How long does it usually take to do a half Everest?

It really depends on the route you're taking, the only rule is you cant sleep at all during the attempt so the ride should be less than 24hrs. I think a race format for this isnt possible since to actually finish even basecamp you'd have to be in zone 1 to 2 most of the time.

A typical route used for this here is Sampaloc, Talisay Batangas, its a 16km climb with an average gradient of 12%. Each lap up is about 600m of elevation so a basecamp attempt is about 7 to 8 laps give or take

(03-27-2023, 04:56 PM)Talha Wrote:  This is my first time hearing about everesting. I've participated in half ironman events and I know a lot about full ironman events, endurance cycling and triathlons. This is coming as a shock. I'll research about this. Thanks!

You can check on this website

https://hof.everesting.com/hall-of-fame

Its kinda like an Audax but instead of just miles or kilometers, they count elevation.
Each verfied and recorded finish includes you in the Hall of Fame and I think you get a Le Col Jersey from Strava
Ah right on, seems pretty cool, if you go for one let us know how it goes 🤘🏼. Kind of reminds me of the non official triathlons they do in Wyoming and Colorado where they ride out to a lake then swim across it, then climb a huge wall or peak and come back (just changing running for climbing in this case)
(03-27-2023, 03:49 AM)meamoantonio Wrote:  Hey guys, im interested in doing an Everesting attempt within this year,if you dont know what it is, it's basically choosing a climb and doing laps on it until you reach
4,424m of elevation (base camp) or 8,848m of elevation (full everesting). Its deceptively simple but very very difficult to achieve, this activity is slowly gaining traction in the Philippines but im interested to see if the rest of the world is pretty familiar with this or if it is a new thing totally.

What are your thoughts?

Hello, I did hear about Everesting but never paid any attention. I would be interested in trying it out. A great way to train and stay in shape..:-) Actually can you provide more details? Like how you plan to keep track and what is the duration you hope to hit those goals. I am trying to see how to make this super fun without injuring myself..:-)
I can see the attraction to attaching the name of a prominant geographical location to an event that has no significant connection to the location or the sport of mountain climbing. I am not a strava person since I only base my endeavors in comparison to myself and past efforts. I understand the need to compete against others (I have competed in real organized racing), but since there is no real standard except elevation I would not care what others did in comparison to myself unless competing on the same course at the same time and conditions.
Where do we draw the line? Why not "Matterhorning"? Why not "Inverse Mariana Trenching"? Why not "Chimborazoing"? Why not "Olympus Monsing"? Will it ever stop?
I like to do as good or better than I did a day ago regardless of the activity, but I am closer to dying everyday so just being able to continue onwards is my "Everesting".
Tomorrow I'll be doing my "Solar Flare Prominencing".
I love cycling, but I hate making it trivial regarding social cycling comparisons. If you really want to compare yourself to others compete in an organized event on the same course and conditions as others within your category and age group. You will then be able to have some bragging rights. I have trouble understanding how anyone ever survived before the internet was created. Granted I would not be writing this comment now if it had not been; but then again I would not have had to.
(04-01-2023, 11:33 PM)Sybian Wrote:  I can see the attraction to attaching the name of a prominant geographical location to an event that has no significant connection to the location or the sport of mountain climbing. I am not a strava person since I only base my endeavors in comparison to myself and past efforts. I understand the need to compete against others (I have competed in real organized racing), but since there is no real standard except elevation I would not care what others did in comparison to myself unless competing on the same course at the same time and conditions.
Where do we draw the line? Why not "Matterhorning"? Why not "Inverse Mariana Trenching"? Why not "Chimborazoing"? Why not "Olympus Monsing"? Will it ever stop?
I like to do as good or better than I did a day ago regardless of the activity, but I am closer to dying everyday so just being able to continue onwards is my "Everesting".
Tomorrow I'll be doing my "Solar Flare Prominencing".
I love cycling, but I hate making it trivial regarding social cycling comparisons. If you really want to compare yourself to others compete in an organized event on the same course and conditions as others within your category and age group. You will then be able to have some bragging rights. I have trouble understanding how anyone ever survived before the internet was created. Granted I would not be writing this comment now if it had not been; but then again I would not have had to.

Yes you're right, its not a race its an activity to challenge yourself, its not about making comparisons with other people but instead setting a goal and finishing it
My client and his son did it in Salt Lake City last year. I had never heard of it before then. I didn't know how to train him until I read the route. It's walking up hill for a time limit of 24 hours, I think. Various accommodations, support up the mountain with food and drinks. Training was side lunges, squats, and treadmill on max incline. Incredibly boring, in my opinion, and if I remember correctly, very expensive if you took the "comfort package"
By the way, this is the road biking forum. You should post this in the other non-cycling category.

(03-27-2023, 03:49 AM)meamoantonio Wrote:  Hey guys, im interested in doing an Everesting attempt within this year,if you dont know what it is, it's basically choosing a climb and doing laps on it until you reach

What are your thoughts?
Hello meamoantonio, Just curious if you were thinking of everesting on a bicycle?..
Everesting got quite popular in 2020. I haven't heard as much ever since it boomed the first time, but others can definitely correct me if I'm wrong. Here's an old forum thread: https://forums.bikeride.com/thread-6751.html

@meamoantonio, did you already choose your hill? Ah, currently I'm in the Baltics where the longest climb is ... well, you can't find a decent climb. I would have to do not 60 laps, but at least ten fold Big Grin
Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
(05-30-2023, 07:55 AM)Zviedrs Wrote:  Everesting got quite popular in 2020. I haven't heard as much ever since it boomed the first time, but others can definitely correct me if I'm wrong. Here's an old forum thread: https://forums.bikeride.com/thread-6751.html

@meamoantonio, did you already choose your hill? Ah, currently I'm in the Baltics where the longest climb is ... well, you can't find a decent climb. I would have to do not 60 laps, but at least ten fold Big Grin

Zviedrs, just wondering which part of Baltics are you. Hope biking is much more enjoyable there.
(05-28-2023, 03:58 PM)SPINMAN Wrote:  My client and his son did it in Salt Lake City last year. I had never heard of it before then. I didn't know how to train him until I read the route. It's walking up hill for a time limit of 24 hours, I think. Various accommodations, support up the mountain with food and drinks. Training was side lunges, squats, and treadmill on max incline. Incredibly boring, in my opinion, and if I remember correctly, very expensive if you took the "comfort package"
By the way, this is the road biking forum. You should post this in the other non-cycling category.

What are your thoughts?

Hi this is a cycling event, check details here https://everesting.cc/
(05-29-2023, 11:09 PM)GirishH Wrote:  Hello meamoantonio, Just curious if you were thinking of everesting on a bicycle?..

Yes I was thinking of doing this on a bicycle