Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Ebike for riders 5ft tall
I'm looking to start biking. I am 6ft while my wife is 5ft. We're looking for advice on which bike to buy. Not knowing how this will pan out, we would like something inexpensive. More than just pedal assist, rideable as an regular bike. Foldable is a plus. Thanks so much in advance for any effort. Its appreciated.
(08-17-2022, 08:54 AM)Ib12know Wrote:  I'm looking to start biking. I am 6ft while my wife is 5ft. We're looking for advice on which bike to buy. Not knowing how this will pan out, we would like something inexpensive. More than just pedal assist, rideable as an regular bike. Foldable is a plus. Thanks so much in advance for any effort. Its appreciated.

It will be difficult to find an inexpensive e-bike. I would avoid used bikes due to the battery life/usage being unknown and the high cost to replace them (it is wise to work a spare battery into the purchasing deal). Most decent ones start well over $1000. I don't know how much the folding feature adds to the cost, but it definitely adds to the weight of an already heavy bike.

I would search this site (and other bike forum sites) to review what others have found out through their experiences with e-bikes.
There is a thread or 2 here discussing features of e-bikes and what the most important ones are to the biking community.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
I don't know how much you like doing mechanical and electrical work.

If it was me, I would buy an electric bike conversion kit, and convert an existing bike. That should be less expensive. If something breaks, you can buy the appropriate part and replace.

You can start with a bike the rider likes.

Obviously, this option is not for people who don't like doing, or don't have the skills to do mechanical or electrical work.
(08-17-2022, 08:54 AM)Ib12know Wrote:  I'm looking to start biking. I am 6ft while my wife is 5ft. We're looking for advice on which bike to buy. Not knowing how this will pan out, we would like something inexpensive. More than just pedal assist, rideable as an regular bike. Foldable is a plus. Thanks so much in advance for any effort. Its appreciated.

Hi! When you mentioned an "inexpensive" bike, what's your budget? I have the Quantum Broadway, a pedal-assist folding eBike and I love it! Though it starts at 2,295 CAD, and that's on the budget end of a lot of ebikes. There's cheaper of course, but I think the quality starts to dip sub 2k.
(12-10-2022, 04:47 PM)qb112 Wrote:  

Hi! When you mentioned an "inexpensive" bike, what's your budget? I have the Quantum Broadway, a pedal-assist folding eBike and I love it! Though it starts at 2,295 CAD, and that's on the budget end of a lot of ebikes. There's cheaper of course, but I think the quality starts to dip sub 2k.

Hi, I am interested in what you think of the Quantum Broadway bike. I cannot find reviews anywhere. I am 5'3" tall and most of the bikes are too big for me. When I wrote to quantum for dimensions. They said the height of the bike is 47.5 " and the reach is 22". That would be way too big for me. We did have trouble communicating since I do not speak any french. Is the height and reach adjustable (to a lower amount)? Is the bike heavy to pick up when folded? I am 72 years old. Thank you for your time.
For a 5ft person, the frame size you would be looking at is Small or Extra Small.

This is typically denoted by a Seat Tube to Bottom Bracket measurement in the close range of 14" (give or take half an inch). The top tube will measure something from 18" to 20" on average. The frame size is a bit more important than any other schematics on the bike (such as the crank arm length). The brand of the bike doesn't really matter as much as the measurements do, so shop freely and only make sure you're getting a bike with the proper measurements.
Check out the Ride1UP Portola. Reviewers have been really impressed, and it should be the right size. One possible drawback is the lack of adjustment for the handlebars.

The Co-Op Generation e1.1 should fit and has an adjustable handlebar stem. Likewise, the Denago City Model 2.

You can also look at the Charge Comfort 2 and Aventon Sinch.2 but both of those lack adjustable bar stems, IIRC.

Bear in mind that most cheaper e-bikes use hub-drive motors (in the rear wheel), are quite heavy, and can be hard to pedal without pedal assist. For lighter e-bikes with mid-drive motors (which generally create less drag when off), you have to spend quite a bit more money.

If you're unsure how dedicated the two of you are to cycling, have you considered starting out with a pair of second-hand regular bicycles? It would be much easier to find something that fits, it should cost a lot less, and if you do find that you want to do more biking, you'll have more experience to help identify your wants/needs when it comes to e-bikes.

You could also try hiring e-bikes a few times before taking the plunge and spending on new bikes.
On this note, the GT Power Performer might just tick all the boxes as an eBMX styled bike.

https://sandiegocyclery.com/shop/ebikes/all-brands-of-e-bikes/gt-power-performer-grey-e-bmx-bike/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

01-02-2020, 05:36 PM
Last Post: nikiti