Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

First Metric Century
When I was less fit, soreness was a problem if I rode a significant distance. At that time I was not able to go very far in a day.

Now I get a little sore, but not enough to be a problem. I recently got a new bike with a different seat. I got sore for the first couple of weeks. But after that, I have not been too sore.

Most people have small seats and padded shorts. I use big seats, and don't use padded shorts. Those experiencing soreness could experiment with different seats.

Part of it is just cycling enough to toughen up.

A challenge for me is lack of energy. I push hard to make sure I get a large proportion of the way. Along the way I have drinks to give me energy. Towards the end I have less and less energy, so I cycle a bit then have a rest, then cycle a bit more and have a rest. I keep going when some people would give up.

Another issue is the bike breaking. When you start riding long distances, you have a lot more things go wrong with the bike. You need a bike where not too many parts fail.

I have had too many parts fail to list them all here. On the last 100km ride, I had a pedal split where it goes around the axle. I could only ride with the pedal one way up. If I rode with it the other way up, it would fail completely. When I got on the bike, I could feel if the pedal was the wrong way up, so I would take my foot off at the bottom, and put it back on at the top, so it rotated 180 degrees. I put a new set of pedals on it now. They look strong, but see how long they last.
I did over 100 km in a day again.

I am trying to lose weight, so I am really pushing myself. People who have tried probably know, it is difficult to lose weight. I will see how much I can lose now that I am fit enough to ride further.

I would like to encourage others to do what they can to promote good health.

So now I have done over 100 km twice in 2022, once in Jan 23, twice in Feb 23, and once in Mar 23.

With the amount of riding I am doing, I am likely wear out my back tire in less than 3 months, my front tire in less than 6 months, and my brake pads in less than 6 months.
@J_R_Schultz have you done another one (metric century) since last August?
"Carbon is faster"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post