Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Vairas vintage bicycle brand
Hey!
Found another vintage bike, this time in a shed of my old countryside place.

Does anyone know anything more about this brand? Would be interesting to learn more about it. It seems to be Baltik Vairas, which started back in the 1950s. The badge and stickers look very Lithuanian & the model name. This bike was found in Latvia so it makes sense. The bike itself is an old cruiser-type-of-bike that fits both men and women. Unfortunately, the frame is broken and I will make some photos with the actual bike the next time I'll visit the countryside.

Vairas Ereliukas 8

Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
(08-07-2022, 04:06 PM)Zviedrs Wrote:  Hey!
Found another vintage bike, this time in a shed of my old countryside place.

Does anyone know anything more about this brand? Would be interesting to learn more about it. It seems to be Baltik Vairas, which started back in the 1950s. The badge and stickers look very Lithuanian & the model name. This bike was found in Latvia so it makes sense. The bike itself is an old cruiser-type-of-bike that fits both men and women. Unfortunately, the frame is broken and I will make some photos with the actual bike the next time I'll visit the countryside.

Vairas Ereliukas 8

Thanks for those photos. I would be interested in seeing the lug work, components, and underside of BB shell when you get back to it. It looks like it says "MADE IN..." on the seat tube decal. Vairas has been making bikes (mass produced) for awhile; I think the name still exists (same owner?). That frame is their junior model based on the "ERELIUKAS" designation. Similar in history to Favorit bikes from Czechoslovakia during Communist Bloc era. Not sure if they built higher end hand-made bikes like Favorit did. ?Baltic-Vairas may have been a later name/conglomeration. Also, not sure of their level of quality; your broken frame could be an indication of poor manufacturing as opposed to abusive riding conditions.

Hope your weather has not been too hot over there to the point where it affects your outdoor activities.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

03-14-2012, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Bill