Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Shimano Tourney TY71 upgrade
I want to replace my front derailer on my Trek fx 2 with something better, it has a Shimano Tourney TY71 3 chainring and I was thinking shimano altus FDM313X6.

What's your thoughts ?.
Ugh, this is sad news, but you will need to go high into the series' or expect very low life from your front derailleur.

Even up to Sora (for road) is mentioned to have poor life expectancy.

Personally, I've never had a Tourney last more than a single season. Same for Acera.
(01-31-2022, 10:15 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  Ugh, this is sad news, but you will need to go high into the series' or expect very low life from your front derailleur.

Personally, I've never had a Tourney last more than a single season. Same for Acera.

Why are these FDs not lasting? I use FDs (road and touring; double and triple ring) that have lasted for decades. Is this an mtb thing? I am not familiar with those groupsets or what they are used for (road or off-road), excluding Sora which you have mentioned as a road group.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(02-01-2022, 08:41 AM)Jesper Wrote:  
(01-31-2022, 10:15 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  Ugh, this is sad news, but you will need to go high into the series' or expect very low life from your front derailleur.

Why are these FDs not lasting? I use FDs (road and touring; double and triple ring) that have lasted for decades. Is this an mtb thing? I am not familiar with those groupsets or what they are used for (road or off-road), excluding Sora which you have mentioned as a road group.

It's hard to say. The alloy they use is cheap. The spring and the pins wear out easy, producing an inability to downshift.

Same thing that happens to rear derailleurs, which even Ultegra isn't impervious of.

I never got to test the Sora series personally, I decided to switch to 1x9. However, I was disheartened to read so many reviews that they wear out easy. I'm not one that likes to take face value for full value, but I don't really doubt it though either to be honest.
(02-02-2022, 04:58 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  
(02-01-2022, 08:41 AM)Jesper Wrote:  

It's hard to say. The alloy they use is cheap. The spring and the pins wear out easy, producing an inability to downshift.

Same thing that happens to rear derailleurs, which even Ultegra isn't impervious of.

I never got to test the Sora series personally, I decided to switch to 1x9. However, I was disheartened to read so many reviews that they wear out easy. I'm not one that likes to take face value for full value, but I don't really doubt it though either to be honest.

Thank you for the insight! The only Shimano stuff I have are their old Crane, Golden Arrow, early 600 and 105 series stuff. No MBT components; all of those are Sun Tour. The Dura-Ace I have is circa 90s and in great shape still so no problems to report. I will admit that my riding is spread out over multiple bikes so I never really put excessive wear on a single component or group, but most of my stuff was used (20-40 years old) when I got it so I am still dealing with previous wear and tear accumulated prior to my use.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

11-21-2020, 09:12 PM
Last Post: icantbreath