Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Remove Cogs on FALCON 7 speed Freewheel
I am changing a 7 speed Schwinn to a single speed. It has a Falcon freewheel. I have the freewheel off of the bike and have removed the core by turning the Falcon ring clockwise. I want to also remove the cogs. There is a locking ring on the outside of the freewheel that needs to be removed. But I don't know if the locking ring turns counterclockwise or clockwise and what tools I need to remove the ring and then take off the cogs. I assume I will need a bike chain whip. Can anyone give me some direction of getting that ring off?

This is my first time posting so I'm not sure if the picture I attached will appear of this post or not.

That's a very specific manufacturer's tool most likely.

In some cases, any lockring tool or lockring wrench can be used, but no promise you will be able to torque it back down.
Seems to me the lockring with have right handed threads, meaning lefty-loosey, righty-tighty. Or in other words, the normal counter-clockwise to loosen. The old Suntour FW used the last sprocket to hold everything together and it was a right hand threaded sprocket to that when pedaling it is under constant tightening forces.
A standard Hozan spanner or other spanner that fits the notch will work. You will need a way to secure the FW so that it does not spin. Again, Hozan made a tool for this that mounts in a vice, but it can also be done using the vice without the special tool using soft jaws that will allow the vice to bite into the large sprocket to keep it from slipping.
Clamp the largest sprocket in the vice using soft jaws. Make it good and tight, they turn the lockring off counter-clockwise. The lock ring will be on very tight, thus requiring lots of torque to remove it.
(01-02-2022, 07:54 AM)jeffg Wrote:  Seems to me the lockring with have right handed threads, meaning lefty-loosey, righty-tighty. Or in other words, the normal counter-clockwise to loosen. The old Suntour FW used the last sprocket to hold everything together and it was a right hand threaded sprocket to that when pedaling it is under constant tightening forces.
A standard Hozan spanner or other spanner that fits the notch will work. You will need a way to secure the FW so that it does not spin. Again, Hozan made a tool for this that mounts in a vice, but it can also be done using the vice without the special tool using soft jaws that will allow the vice to bite into the large sprocket to keep it from slipping.
Clamp the largest sprocket in the vice using soft jaws. Make it good and tight, they turn the lockring off counter-clockwise. The lock ring will be on very tight, thus requiring lots of torque to remove it.

Thanks Jeff. I figured I could use a vise to hold the largest cog, but wasn't aware of a spanner. I thought it would loosen counter-clockwise so thanks for the affirmation. I'll see what I can find online for a spanner. Thanks for your help.

Possibly Related Threads...