Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Intro
Hello, all. Joined this forum a couple weeks ago and have posted a few times since, but never introduced myself. Worked in a bike shop from 1981 to just last month. Had a good long run not making much money, and living frugally. Finally I have retired from bikes and now work with cars. Will do this for a few years and then retire from working at all!
Vintage bikes are my favorites, and is what I currently ride. I have also build a few frames of my own design and ride them as well. At one time I knew all sorts of component and tubing spec and was referred to by co-workers as "The Encyclopedia", but it has been unused for too many years and is now lost to time. No longer race, but I do short tours and day rides. Long tours will happen when I stop working.
Hope this forum grows and gains many cyclists that are more about riding than components, as my interests are in sharing rides and experiences more than talking about the latest and greatest stuff.
Enough about me, how 'bout you?
Great to have you on the forum, Jeff!
I'm just a regular bike guy who enjoys MTB and road cycling, also watches pro road cycling on the TV, and used to write about it in the local media (attended a couple of UCI World championships). I'll definitely have questions to ask once I begin working on my first vintage bike project.

What rides do you have?
Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
Welcome Jeff!

Hope you can impart some of your wisdom here..
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
hello Jeff & greetings from Vermont!
Thank you all for the welcoming words.

Zviedrs, I have pared down the collection quite a bit and currently ride an 81 Raliegh Competition GS converted to 11 speed Campagnolo Record/Chorus. I bought it new in 81 and raced it for a few years and did the conversion this past spring. I now realize I should have done it years ago. Simply put, the bike is an incredibly smooth ride and fits my needs perfectly.

There are two Raleigh Professionals in the collection as well. 1979 and 1974. The 79 is Mink Blue, and the 74 is Silver. They are no longer ridden, the 79 has been restored retaining patina and the 74 is in need of restoration. I also have a 90's era Kona KuKu with the glow-in-the-dark rubber badging. Such a neat way to badge a bike I find it worthy of keeping.

This past summer I sold an 80's Razessa and an early 90's Specialized Allez. These two were the final trimming down of the collection. What is important to me in a collection is the story behind every bike. The bikes that had less interesting stories were sold off, leaving me with the bikes that were special in their own unique way through the story behind them. My son is interested in keeping the three remaining bikes as he knows the stories that got them here, plus the frames I have built so I know that everything will be in good hands when I depart this world. He's a great son to have!

I assume you are in the vintage world as well? If so, what do you have?
(12-11-2021, 08:10 AM)jeffg Wrote:  Thank you all for the welcoming words.

Zviedrs, I have pared down the collection quite a bit and currently ride an 81 Raliegh Competition GS converted to 11 speed Campagnolo Record/Chorus. I bought it new in 81 and raced it for a few years and did the conversion this past spring. I now realize I should have done it years ago. Simply put, the bike is an incredibly smooth ride and fits my needs perfectly.

There are two Raleigh Professionals in the collection as well. 1979 and 1974. The 79 is Mink Blue, and the 74 is Silver. They are no longer ridden, the 79 has been restored retaining patina and the 74 is in need of restoration. I also have a 90's era Kona KuKu with the glow-in-the-dark rubber badging. Such a neat way to badge a bike I find it worthy of keeping.

This past summer I sold an 80's Razessa and an early 90's Specialized Allez. These two were the final trimming down of the collection. What is important to me in a collection is the story behind every bike. The bikes that had less interesting stories were sold off, leaving me with the bikes that were special in their own unique way through the story behind them. My son is interested in keeping the three remaining bikes as he knows the stories that got them here, plus the frames I have built so I know that everything will be in good hands when I depart this world. He's a great son to have!

I assume you are in the vintage world as well? If so, what do you have?

Thanks for the line up info Jeff. I too have a penchant for early steel frames; over a hundred have passed through my hands over the years as a rider and hobbyist. I am still working on a 30s French bike (been looking for crucial part since before COVID); but usually messing with 50s-80s bikes. I have a couple models that you have: '72 Raleigh Pro MK IV, Raleigh GS (I guess '79ish; rescued it when badged as a Specialized). I will essentially ride anything I can throw my leg over, and although I primarily ride race frames I have great fun smelling the roses on my '54 Hercules and '70 Raleigh roadsters. I'm always building or tearing down something; mostly for refurbishing bikes woth proper period parts, when possible and feasible, regardless of value. My last long rides (50+ miles) were on early-mid 80s bikes (Colnago and Batavus).
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

02-04-2021, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Painkiller

11-21-2020, 10:08 AM