Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

How often do you wash your bike?
Ciao.
I know that some bike riders overexaggerate the 'cleaning part' and wash (or spray) their bikes at least once a week. I know, it's mandatory after a muddy trail ride. But I'm thinkging more about daily commuters. It gets dusty here and there, but how long is too long without a shower for a bike? For a bike that rides almost every day.
Not enough Sad
Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
I like to wipe my bike down often.

I keep a Tub o Towels in my garage for this exact reason.
I will clean the bike as long as it gets dirty, I think it is just depend on how much you can bear the dirty stuff, haha!
SOUKE-WHERE CYCLING GEAR MEETS FASHION
Official Site: http://www.souke-sports.com
Email: info@souke-sports.com
15% OFF COUPON: BIKERIDE15
Looking for TESTERS, Check Details Here!!
Wet wipes are handy for weekly "fresh-up" . I can get lazy with the bike cleaning, but when any of my friends or colleagues mention it with "have you been on a gravel ride?" or "when was the last time you cleaned your bike?", it's a no brainer - my pride can't take it and I give it a wash. Overall, once a month is OK.
Autobahn
(09-23-2021, 02:14 PM)ManBearPig Wrote:  Ciao.
I know that some bike riders overexaggerate the 'cleaning part' and wash (or spray) their bikes at least once a week. I know, it's mandatory after a muddy trail ride. But I'm thinkging more about daily commuters. It gets dusty here and there, but how long is too long without a shower for a bike? For a bike that rides almost every day.

My bike always looks like it was just out of the showroom. I wash it and then put a good coat of carnuba wax on it.
Do what now?
I wash my Bike 2 times A week then i think its good and shiny
I sweat a ton so do a quick mist with the hose and then wipe down my carbon road or gravel bike after every ride.
I had a steel Jamis back in the day and did not do this which lead to a crack in the frame.

If a water source is not available, I have a spray bottle of bike wash.
My mechanic told me I could use Windex.

Every 2nd or third ride, I will also clean and then relube the chain.

Having a stand is a HUGE help and makes the job MUCH easier

I wash/damp wipe the bike when I run my finger down the down tube and it comes up visibly dirty which could be one day of riding (usually plus 40 miles), or weeks of riding. It usually depends on mileage or environment; but generally about every 3-4 weeks on average. I clean the chain (removed, submersed in solvent, relubed), cables, front and rears cogs about every 6-8 weeks. If I rode every day the same distance (15-25 miles) as my normal rides I think it would cleaned once a week. Another good indicator is how much road grit and grime are on your lower legs after riding. If they are really dirty then your bike's drivetrain has also gotten just as soiled if not more so.
Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard
On average, proper wash once a month.
Yes, you should wash your motorcycle to keep it looking its best. If you use your bike frequently, then you should aim to wash it at least once a week. However, if you only ride occasionally, then every two weeks should be sufficient. Of course, this all depends on the conditions that you ride in – if you live in a particularly muddy or dirty area, then you may need to clean your bike more often.

If your chain is particularly dirty, then you may need to remove it and clean it separately. This can be done by soaking it in a degreaser and then scrubbing it with a brush before rinsing it off and re-lubricating it.

Be sure to pay special attention to the areas around the engine, exhaust pipes, and other moving parts. These areas are especially susceptible to corrosion and the buildup of grime and dirt. A toothbrush can be helpful for getting into tight spaces.

Be sure to avoid using harsh chemicals or cleaners, as these can damage the bike’s finish. Once you’ve washed the frame and components, rinse them again with clean water to remove any soap residue. After washing, take the time to inspect your bike for any signs of wear or damage.
I think it varies for everyone. I live near the beach, and there is a lot of fine sandy dust even on the roads. Because of that, I need to clean and lube the drivetrain more often than if I lived in the city.

On the other hand, if I was waxing the chain instead of using a liquid lube, I would probably have to clean and lube it less-frequently. It's winter now, so it's too cold for wax AND it rains a lot so I end up needing to clean the bike after every decent ride of more than a few miles.

I picked up an old bike work stand cheap via FB Marketplace. I leave it in a shed downstairs (I live in an apartment) so I can easily whip out the stand, bring down a couple of buckets, and clean my bike after a ride. If anyone steals the stand, I'm only out £5.
I usually will just wash it when it gets mud or dirt sticking to the frame etc. or before I take it in for a tune up. I’m not sure if this is a thing but when you whose it down I’d imagine it washes away the chain oil etc. So if I do it before the tune up they will re oil everything up and it’ll be clean and all tuned up
I wash mine when it looks dirty, that could be a month of riding, or a day of riding.

I use Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wash & Wax; after cleaning the bike, but once a year I put on a coat of Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax, then after every wash during the year I spray on Meguiar's Insane Shine Paint Glosser. Sound like a poster child for Meguiar's, but I use to own several classic cars and Meguiar's delivered the performance I wanted for car shows, so I use their stuff on my bikes. Car wax and wash products are superior and cheaper than bike boutique wax and washes.

I forgot something, one of my bikes is made of titanium, that one I wash with Dawn for Dishes the non-citrus version, afterward I spray some WD40 on a rag and wipe down the entire frame with it, and let the WD40 set for about a week, then wipe it down with a clean rag. Very easy to maintain a TI bike.
Wag more, bark less
Smile 
Hi. In my case, it depends on the weather. When it is rainy and a lot of mud I am doing this every day. In summer it is one/two times per mounth
Interesting and an appropriate topic personally. I keep wondering the same and anytime I wash my bike, the next day I end up getting the bike even muddier..:-( I do wonder how often folks clean their chains and not the whole bike. Which is more advisable, just cleaning the chain or the entire bike?
(04-25-2023, 09:48 AM)GirishH Wrote:  Interesting and an appropriate topic personally. I keep wondering the same and anytime I wash my bike, the next day I end up getting the bike even muddier..:-( I do wonder how often folks clean their chains and not the whole bike. Which is more advisable, just cleaning the chain or the entire bike?

This probably isn’t the best but after I wash my bike (hosing the whole thing down) I just put chain lube on the chain otherwise the chain will slip and become problematic in my experience. But I only wash my bike if it really needs it, which probably ends up being like once or twice a year

Most of the time, the entire bike doesn't get dirty. So you can do spot cleaning. Use damp cloth on the spots which are dusty and dirty. Also instead of hosing down your bike, you can Amazon Bike Kituse this You can use dry cleaners and just wipe your bike without having to use water.

These things can reduce hosing your bike a lot, but takes a little more time. Great if you're worried about over-cleaning your bike with water and rust could get form.

Once a month for roadbikes, every week if its a Mountainbike that hoes to trails often