Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Which aspects of e-bikes do you think are the most important? Why?
Battery life. I want to get there.........and back!
(08-02-2021, 05:55 PM)Nicholas Wrote:  Hello, bike riders!
Have you ever considered buying an e-bike or do you already own one? Let's share our opinions about e-bikes and their most important aspects.
I've been using ebikes for many years, since the first hub motors began to appear for sale. For me reliability is the most important aspect, high density battery pack, reasonable power to assist up steep hills and against stiff breezes.
  • what's the most important aspect of electric bikes and why? Is it the battery life? Is it the max speed?
  • what would you consider the most when choosing an e-bike?
Being new to e-bikes I would think that the battery life would be importance to me.
My motivation for getting an electric bike is that I live at the top of a huge, steep hill. It's a mile from my house to the bottom of the hill. When I go for a bike ride, I either leave from my house and have my wife pick me up at the bottom of the hill when I'm done with my ride, or I put my bike on the bike rack on my car, drive to the bottom of the hill, and go for my bike ride from there. Having to drive my car either before or after my ride totally defeats the purpose of going on a bike ride.
Being older and more out of shape than I was willing to admit, the battery life is very important to me.
definitely battery life
(08-02-2021, 05:55 PM)Nicholas Wrote:  Hello, bike riders!
Have you ever considered buying an e-bike or do you already own one? Let's share our opinions about e-bikes and their most important aspects.

• what's the most important aspect of electric bikes and why? Is it the battery life? Is it the max speed? Definitely battery life. In my area, many of the paved bike paths are limited to Class 1 e-Bike speeds. Since I own a Class 3, I have to be judicious in how fast I choose to ride :-)
  • what would you consider the most when choosing an e-bike? What is my intended use. I bought my bike primarily for e-trekking, so it had to have features that would be conducive to that intended use.
The most important aspects of e-bikes for me are speed, range, and a comfortable ride!
Helps people who wouldn't otherwise be fit enough to ride more difficult or hilly terrain.
I live in a very hilly area and an ebike would allow me to commute by bike!
battery power helps me get around easier
The ability to assist on steep grades
I think it is a practical and efficient mode of transportation. I commute most of my days on bicycle to and from work. But, am limited with how many additional places I can go as I am simply too exhausted to add miles on to my commute which is already quite long. To have the option of an e-bike where I don't have to exhaust myself and can arrive to my location not completely drenched in sweat, huffing and puffing - that would be wonderful!
Most important to me is extending my range with reduced carbon footprint.
Def the battery life!!
For me, the number 1 thing in an ebike is smooth throttle response, I'm old enough that I'm not planning on using pedal assist much if at all, so I want a throttle that gives smooth control across the complete range from slow to full speed.

Being a frugal S.O.B., my #2 factor is the battery life -- not the range on a single charge, but how long before I need to replace the battery pack.

At the same time, the bike construction and geometry have to fit me. I weigh 260 and have shorter than average legs, so I'm looking for a strong bike with a low stand-over height.
I'm not much for cycling -- more into horses -- but if I was going to get an ebike, I guess the main things would be reliability and comfort.
Torque to handle accelerating from a stop sign or traffic light
Gotta be SPEED
Range - especially since I have to figure that the real range is no more that half whatever the maker says.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post