Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

CHANGING 1x8 into 2x8
Hey guys i was wondering if any of you knew a way to change my 1x8 because, i want a more wider range in speed since i do try to go for fairly long bike rides and slopes can be quiet challening, I saw that my bike derailleurs are compatible with sora sram and btwin, Ive got the Triban RC100 womans. I dont really know much about bikes so im not really sure what to do, I just know that a 1x8 will definately not be enough for my long rides. heres the page where im getting my bike.

https://www.decathlon.ca/en/endurance-road-bikes/301919-73748-triban-easy-women-s-road-bike.html#/demodelsize-200tp/demodelcolor-8602202?queryID=9a6f74832cc1b115c46876c0c6df775a&objectID=4118520
so here is the thing. it is doable. but it is kinda expensive. so at the very least, you would need a new crank, shifter, and derailleur. you might also need a longer bottom bracket that is longer in order to compensate for the second chainring. with everything you would need and including the labor to put everything on you're probably looking at $150-200 ish and at that point, you would probably be able to get a bike with everything you are looking for.
"Steel is real."
- IDK, some guy.
I agree with ChaseCal; you may also need to replace the chain or add links depending on your changes. You may be able to add a cog to your freehub or you can can the gear ratio ranges by changing out rear cogs for different sized ones.

I agree with ChaseCal; you may also need to replace the chain or add links depending on your changes. You will also have to add cable housing stops and/or cable guides for the new derailleur if the frame is not already equipped with them. You may be able to add a cog to your freehub or you can can the gear ratio ranges by changing out rear cogs for different sized ones. Per the advert you linked the bike has a 40T front ring and 11T-34T on the rear. You may be able to change your front ring to a larger size (48T-52T ?) and also change the larger rear cogs for larger onew if the rear derailleur has the capacity (it would seem like it does). There is also the possibility of replaciny the rear wheel with one that has a 9-11 cog cassette. Cost might be about the same as going double on the front, but without any other modifications, and essentially no labor (you could do it) with just swapping it out. You could have you initial wheel for flat terrains and only use the new wheel when riding more hilly terrain. Plus, you would have a spare wheel ready in case of damage or maintenance; keeping you on the road.

I am not familiar with this Triban brand, but I am hearing the name more often. I am curious as to any feedback owners and mechanics can provide.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(06-02-2021, 06:09 PM)ZOINK Wrote:  Hey guys i was wondering if any of you knew a way to change my 1x8 because, i want a more wider range in speed since i do try to go for fairly long bike rides and slopes can be quiet challening, I saw that my bike derailleurs are compatible with sora sram and btwin, Ive got the Triban RC100 womans. I dont really know much about bikes so im not really sure what to do, I just know that a 1x8 will definately not be enough for my long rides. heres the page where im getting my bike.

https://www.decathlon.ca/en/endurance-road-bikes/301919-73748-triban-easy-women-s-road-bike.html#/demodelsize-200tp/demodelcolor-8602202?queryID=9a6f74832cc1b115c46876c0c6df775a&objectID=4118520

The reply above is pretty spot on but I'd like to add that you may also want to check if your frame has a mount or allows for cable routing for the front derailleur too. If its not present, I think upgrading to a Triban RC500 Sora is a pretty good option too