Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

How to keep your bicycle safe?
I use two locks to lock up my bike. One's a large cable I use to lock up both my tires, frame, and a fixed pole/bike post. Then I use a Kryptonite Keeper lock to lock the whole thing. Then I use a cable bike to lock my seat to the front wheel. My wheels are quick-release while the seat isn't. But, I still make it as difficult as I could if someone wants to try ..
Since the advent of cordless angle grinders, nothing is 'safe' anymore. The bikes I cherish DO NOT leave my sight when I'm on a ride. If I have to leave my bike somewhere, I use one of my disposable bikes and 'secure' it with a Sold Secure Gold certified U-lock, which is a total PITA both to lug around and use.

On a related note: vote for me! I'll introduce punishment beatings for bike theft! Smile
I will say that there is an easy and portable way to defeat all exposed locks/locking mechanisms, but I will not post it due to concerns for security. It has been around for decades, and no, I repeat NO exposed lock has yet to be made to defeat this method. It is probably because no lock company ever thinks that someone would use it.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(06-01-2021, 06:38 PM)Nicholas Wrote:  Hey BikeRiders,
May was National Bike Month. Let's continue celebrating the cycling community by discussing how to keep our bicycles safe against thefts and damage.

For example, how do you keep your bike safe while transporting it? How do you keep it safe on the streets?

If you're taking your bike from A to B invest in a bike rack. Even if you have a truck bed, get a rack. They save the bike from frame damage and you don't have to worry about the bike sliding left or right in the trunk. There are racks for sedans, hitch racks and even some suction racks that make life so much easier.
Ensuring bike safety is crucial, especially considering the investment we make in our bikes and the joy they bring us. When transporting my bike, I take extra precautions by using a quality bike rack that securely holds it in place and minimizes any risk of damage during transit. I also double-check the straps and connections to ensure everything is tight and secure.
Sadly, I have seen bikes strapped to a rear or roof rack hit the garage door/ceiling when the owner forgot where the bike was..:-(

(02-20-2024, 10:15 PM)LeonelFarley Wrote:  Ensuring bike safety is crucial, especially considering the investment we make in our bikes and the joy they bring us. When transporting my bike, I take extra precautions by using a quality bike rack that securely holds it in place and minimizes any risk of damage during transit. I also double-check the straps and connections to ensure everything is tight and secure.
[Image: v44sr7A]

this is a pretty good but slightly expensive option. This is a Hiplock Airlok, our shop sells this for a little less than $300 but it is really secure
I never leave my "nice" bikes anywhere, including in my car.

My less-coveted bikes only get locked up in busy places using a Hiplok DX u-lock. It's not the highest rated u-lock available, but I was fed up with the weight of locks and this one I feel is a great compromise between weight and security.

Ultimately, in any place where professional bike thieves operate your only hope is one of the new breed of angle grinder-resistant locks, which are both very heavy and very expensive.

I never leave a bike out in public for longer than a short bit of shopping.
I am with you, enkei.

I don't like to and never leave my bike out in public. If a safe bike locking facility is available, I use that even if it takes 5-10 more minutes. My former workplace has a bicycle cage with card access only and this bike cage was hidden away inside the car garage. So, only folks who worked in the building could request access and then were able to park their bikes there. Even inside that cage, I used to lock my bike with a U and a cable lock.

Then at least twice, I found out that thieves had cut into that wire cage and gained access before getting caught. Then I started fearing for my bike as well.

(02-23-2024, 11:05 AM)enkei Wrote:  I never leave my "nice" bikes anywhere, including in my car.

My less-coveted bikes only get locked up in busy places using a Hiplok DX u-lock. It's not the highest rated u-lock available, but I was fed up with the weight of locks and this one I feel is a great compromise between weight and security.

Ultimately, in any place where professional bike thieves operate your only hope is one of the new breed of angle grinder-resistant locks, which are both very heavy and very expensive.

I never leave a bike out in public for longer than a short bit of shopping.
(06-01-2021, 06:38 PM)Nicholas Wrote:  Hey BikeRiders,
May was National Bike Month. Let's continue celebrating the cycling community by discussing how to keep our bicycles safe against thefts and damage.

For example, how do you keep your bike safe while transporting it? How do you keep it safe on the streets?

Use a good rack. Like those from Yikama. They are worth the money and last a lifetime. Some frames come with built in locks too and they keep the bike secure. Additionally use bungee cords to fix them in place

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

03-07-2021, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Djurida