Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

What kind of bike is this, what are its pros and cons?
Hello all, new to the forums. I was hoping J can help in identification on the bike our family has in the basement. I have no knowledge about bikes nor do I know how to bike well but I would like to start.

Now I don't expect it to be amazing as my family aren't cyclists but I think it is usable and in good condition. Hoping that with a new tweaks it can be modernized instead of buying a new bike altogether. It strikes to me like some sort of hybrid because of the tires but someone said it was an old mtb. First I would like to use it for commuting to work, and eventually do longer rides city to mountains (bikepacking in general)

I was hoping people here could help me identify what kind of bike it is, what are its strengths and weaknesses, if there is anything I should replace.

And in the future, for my goals I mentioned above, should I look into replacing some parts (eg the tires) etc. I will bring it into the repair shop for maintenance so just think about the parts. Btw it is a 3-7 gear system.

(05-25-2021, 07:56 AM)Atourist Wrote:  Hello all, new to the forums. I was hoping J can help in identification on the bike our family has in the basement. I have no knowledge about bikes nor do I know how to bike well but I would like to start.

Now I don't expect it to be amazing as my family aren't cyclists but I think it is usable and in good condition. Hoping that with a new tweaks it can be modernized instead of buying a new bike altogether. It strikes to me like some sort of hybrid because of the tires but someone said it was an old mtb. First I would like to use it for commuting to work, and eventually do longer rides city to mountains (bikepacking in general)

I was hoping people here could help me identify what kind of bike it is, what are its strengths and weaknesses, if there is anything I should replace.

And in the future, for my goals I mentioned above, should I look into replacing some parts (eg the tires) etc. I will bring it into the repair shop for maintenance so just think about the parts. Btw it is a 3-7 gear system.
Welcome!
It would appear to be an early-mid 90s entry level/recreational mtb. I cannot read the down tube make; I assume the model is "FUSE". I see the "FUJI Cr-Mo" tubing designation, so maybe a Fuji bike using a different brand name. I don't know much about those bikes or their components. The Shimano "Alivio" groupset was one of their lower lever component sets back in the day, but it is probably just fine for your intended use to start; and can easily be upgraded in the future. It appears to be in very good condition (clean, no rust, etc.) so a tune-up and some new inner tubes (brake pads and tires also if dry rotted/cracking). Those tires may not feel great on pavement so if you plan to use for road commuting you may want to get a more appropriate set; your bike shop folks should be able to recommend the best for your needs.
The biggest concern would be fit. If it is too big or too small; that can make it uncomfortable to ride. If the fit is good then you might just need to get a saddle if the present one doesn't meet your needs.

I would highly recommend a helmet if you don't already have one, maybe gloves too.

Good luck and safe cycling.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Thanks for the input Jesper! As you pointed out, it is in pretty good condition. I think the main change I will ask the people at the bike shop are for different tires.

Could you explain what to expect with a better groupset? And new brakes? As the bike wasn't used much, I expect the brakes are still rather intact.

Finally, I am a bit worried that the bike may be too big for me. Either that or I am just too new to biking that I am not used to it (when I tried it, I felt that my center of gravity was leaning a bit too forward instead of just on the seat)
It's a Quantum Fuse according to the frame.

The downtube usually hosts the brand name and the top tube hosts the model name.

It was built by Fuji obviously for the brand.
(05-25-2021, 04:00 PM)Atourist Wrote:  Thanks for the input Jesper! As you pointed out, it is in pretty good condition. I think the main change I will ask the people at the bike shop are for different tires.

Could you explain what to expect with a better groupset? And new brakes? As the bike wasn't used much, I expect the brakes are still rather intact.

Finally, I am a bit worried that the bike may be too big for me. Either that or I am just too new to biking that I am not used to it (when I tried it, I felt that my center of gravity was leaning a bit too forward instead of just on the seat)

Better groupsets will feel like you're "flying or gliding" or to be more technical, each pedal stroke transfers power to the drivetrain much efficiently thus helping you bike longer amd faster when you come from entry level components, but in this case I'd advise against upgrading, in this day and age upgrades can cost as much as brand new bike and you'll be better of getting a new one with all the changes to Bike Standards every 5years or so.
Atourist Wrote:what are its pros and cons?

Older bikes like this are stronger than modern bikes. You should be able to ride it and have few parts break. I suggest, keep it as it is, don't replace anything that is not broken.
I agree with ichitan about not replacing unless it's broken. Atourist, just curious why you are thinking of changing tires.

The bike, including the tires, seems to be in great shape. Since you mentioned biking eventually in the mountains and then bikepacking, just curious why even change the tires if they aren't really worn out. Based on what I see I don't see them to be worn-out.

Good luck with starting to commute and then long-distance biking and bikepacking. It's really fun.
Those are some neat welds. Now we see a single piece frame on most bikes.
Impressive build.