Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Difficult to upshift front gear even when going on a gentle uphill [Solved]
I adjusted my front gear according to materials I read and watched on the Internet. Hanging the bike off the ground, fd works alright and shifting was seamless.

Now I take a ride, flat ground, shifting front gear was good. Downhill was also perfectly alright with changing gear. When I went uphill even on a gentle slope, gear won't upshift; downshift was alright. I am on a triple chainring. When going uphill, from lowest gear, I need to push the shifter level to #3 just to get the chain move to 2nd gear.

Hope someone can help me out here. Had been working on this for a week now to no avail.
If you're still having trouble, I would like to add a couple of things. Stuff moves around when under load. it just happens, but it shouldn't affect the shifting anyways. SO. There is a couple of things I have done to combat this in the past. I have seen this being a result of a stretched chain, so depending on the age of the chain, you might want to get a new one. I have also seen (most common) it is a frayed cable. probably 8/10 times I see this, changing the housing and cable fixes it. It might be because it's frayed, maybe it is stretched to the end of its life, or there is sweat gunking up the housing. whatever it is, I would replace the cable and housing if you cant fix it via cable tension.
"Steel is real."
- IDK, some guy.
(05-23-2021, 11:26 PM)ChaseCal Wrote:  If you're still having trouble, I would like to add a couple of things. Stuff moves around when under load. it just happens, but it shouldn't affect the shifting anyways. SO. There is a couple of things I have done to combat this in the past. I have seen this being a result of a stretched chain, so depending on the age of the chain, you might want to get a new one. I have also seen (most common) it is a frayed cable. probably 8/10 times I see this, changing the housing and cable fixes it. It might be because it's frayed, maybe it is stretched to the end of its life, or there is sweat gunking up the housing. whatever it is, I would replace the cable and housing if you cant fix it via cable tension.

For my case it is the frayed cable as you mentioned. As the barrel adjuster didn't seem to improve any further It is now fixed by changing that cable. I wish you had posted your suggestion much earlier Smile it would have saved me much time. You have been spot on. Many thanks. I hope anyone with the same issue will be able to find your post and help themselves.

Possibly Related Threads...