Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

About ghost bikes
Hello.
Last night I read an article about ghost bikes. How they made New York City's first, how the movement evolved and the process behind it.

Link: https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a34703255/ghost-bikes-memorials-for-cyclists/
Autobahn
(12-10-2020, 07:18 PM)G_M Wrote:  Hello.
Last night I read an article about ghost bikes. How they made New York City's first, how the movement evolved and the process behind it.

Link: https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a34703255/ghost-bikes-memorials-for-cyclists/

That was a very well thought out and expressed article; very somber also. My county just experienced another fatality this past Wednesday with a cyclIst hit while on the shoulder of the road by a "hit and run" motorist. Ridiculous! Another dead cyclist while not even in the travel lane, where they have the legal right to be in my State, loses their life to a more than likely distracted or impaired driver (probably why the heartless individual did not stop). I have had vehicles intentionally swerve in my direction, cut me off, and more, quite often shouting obscenities and/or giving me the middle finger while I am doing nothing wrong. Even when I was stopped and sitting in front of a conveniance store taking a breather, a "redneck" pickup truck driver hit their horn multiple times until I turned and looked In that direction whereupon he gave me the the finger! Pathetic! In the recent past while riding I had passenger shout while their vehicle passed me to get the "F" off the road; there was no shoulder, merely a drainage ditch and curbing necessitating my riding as far to the edge as safely possible after just passing a sign that stated "cyclists have the right to the roadway" and "share the road" signs; the fool continued spewing vulgarities well after passing. There is a great lack of legal understanding and respect amongst many motorists that cause a desensitively towards anyone that they think is in their way be it lawful or not. That being said, I nearly crashed after being run off the pavement of a city bike trail (10 feet wide) by a cyclist who was either drunk, dreaming, or just "brain dead"; swerving from side to side; my speed, experience, and apparently fate kept me safe, but you should not have to count on luck to keep you safe when you go riding. Friends actually say prayers for me knowing what I have been through. Last major accident was during a race, and was due to a truck using a dedicated racing lane (there was an open vehicle lane!) which sent me off the road; result: ambulance ride for myself and the bike, and lost wages due to missing work.
Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard
Thank you for sharing this article G_M. I have seen a few ghost bikes in NY City. The very first one I saw was actually in Belgium, in a very beautiful and bike-friendly city Ghent, located in the city center next to a bus stop and made for a student who was fatally hit by a driver. That's where I instantly learned about the concept. I believe that this particular white bike was located in an area, within the city center ring, that is now not accessible by cars.

The innovative way Ghent, Belgium removed cars from the city: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEOA_Tcq2XA&ab_channel=Streetfilms

(12-11-2020, 08:44 AM)Criminal Wrote:  My county just experienced another fatality this past Wednesday with a cyclIst hit while on the shoulder of the road by a "hit and run" motorist. Ridiculous! Another dead cyclist while not even in the travel lane, where they have the legal right to be in my State, loses their life to a more than likely distracted or impaired driver (probably why the heartless individual did not stop). I have had vehicles intentionally swerve in my direction, cut me off, and more, quite often shouting obscenities and/or giving me the middle finger while I am doing nothing wrong.

That's disturbing :/ What is your county?
"Carbon is faster"
(12-20-2020, 07:45 AM)Nikko Wrote:  That's disturbing :/ What is your county?

When down south Alachua county Florida. I am not there full time, only for work matters. I only ride the trails if possible, and never any night riding; almost bought it once even with proper lighting. College town where scooters often are in the bike lanes quite often making the road the safer option.
Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-17-2012, 10:53 PM
Last Post: GeorgeET

07-31-2011, 10:00 PM
Last Post: JohnV