Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

GT TEQUESTA
'96 GT Tequesta. I'm curious as to what the value might be for this bike. Listed at $225; looks very clean in photos. Not much more than minor scratches in the additional photos, derailleurs and cranks are not beat, no scuffs on the original saddle. Tires appear very new without signs of wear or aging. Shimano "STX" drivetrain, (I'm not familiar with it), and Shimano brakes. Pedals appear to be "cheap" platforms (probably OE). I am considering taking a look at it, but it's a couple hours drive. I figured $175ish or less (would offer $150 w/o physically seeing it) without any major problems to repair. I'm not an MTB guy so let me know if I'm off on my value. I am looking for a rigid frame bike so this fits the bill in that department, and size will work for my needs.

Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
If all looks good, should be a sound purchase
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(10-02-2020, 05:03 AM)Painkiller Wrote:  If all looks good, should be a sound purchase

Thanks for the insight; not a bike or groupset I am familiar with. I do own a GT race bike, but it is a professional Reynolds 853 tubing "Edge" model and has a full D-A groupset. I just needed something to go off-road on with out concern of frame or parts damage/poor function, but still rigid for road riding. The only issue I see on that bike is the saddle which I would immediately change.

Another bike in the running '87/'88 Bianchi "Broadway"; Sun Tour Accushift X2000 RD (& FD?), and shifters, Sugino VP cranks, Chang Star brakes, Araya rims. Asking $175; bike is clean without any obvious abuse/damage; good tires. Similar size rigid frame. Again, needs a different saddle for my riding.

Take care,
Jesper

(10-05-2020, 04:36 AM)Jesper Wrote:  
(10-02-2020, 05:03 AM)Painkiller Wrote:  If all looks good, should be a sound purchase

Thanks for the insight; not a bike or groupset I am familiar with. I do own a GT race bike, but it is a professional Reynolds 853 tubing "Edge" model and has a full D-A groupset. I just needed something to go off-road on with out concern of frame or parts damage/poor function, but still rigid for road riding. The only issue I see on that bike is the saddle which I would immediately change.

Another bike in the running '87/'88 Bianchi "Broadway"; Sun Tour Accushift X2000 RD (& FD?), and shifters, Sugino VP cranks, Chang Star brakes, Araya rims. Asking $175; bike is clean without any obvious abuse/damage; good tires. Similar size rigid frame. Again, needs a different saddle for my riding.
I would opt for the GT over the Bianchi. The Bianchi I would classify more of an ATB than an MTB because of the geometry and gearing differences. The Stx groupset came on Mid-Level bicycles in the mid 90s, ($400- $1000) Durable enough and easy enough to upgrade down the road if you desire. The weakest part would be the spring cover on the canti's, look at them closely as they are plastic and prone to crack. rendering them useless and would require replacement
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(10-05-2020, 05:04 AM)Painkiller Wrote:  
(10-05-2020, 04:36 AM)Jesper Wrote:  

I would opt for the GT over the Bianchi. The Bianchi I would classify more of an ATB than an MTB because of the geometry and gearing differences. The Stx groupset came on Mid-Level bicycles in the mid 90s, ($400- $1000) Durable enough and easy enough to upgrade down the road if you desire. The weakest part would be the spring cover on the canti's, look at them closely as they are plastic and prone to crack. rendering them useless and would require replacement

Thank you! That's exactly what I needed to know. I did like the geometry of the GT better and also a near perfect frame size, whereas the Bianchi was a little taller than I'd like (fine on if it was a road bike frame size). I am going to take a ride and check it out. Asking price already dropped to $195 so I feel my $150-175 offer range should fly if the bike is in the condition shown.

Thanks again Painkiller; I always appreciate your comments!
Take care,
Jesper

Not a problem Jesper, these bikes are more my Forte' if you will. The Gt is plain pretty too. With vintage 7/8 speed bicycles one can keep them going for many years with quality parts still made today although not of "era" but quite functional. And make great bikes to re purpose.