Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Moulton MK3 1970s

Attached Files Image(s)

(08-02-2020, 05:17 AM)Dex123 Wrote:  Hi there,
I’m looking to sell my grandfathers old bike for my mum. Any info on how much this could go for/ where is a good place to sell it would be greatly appreciated!
(Photo attached)
Many thanks

Hi Dex,

There is a "marketplace" thread here (search: Marketplace), as well as on other forum sites.
Of course you can post it on Craigslist, eBay, etc.
There are many collectors of those compact and folding bikes; you should do a search for clubs, etc. (search: compact, folding, trunk, boot, suitcase, and/or Moulton bikes). I only know of the "Bootiebike" site which primarily deals with this style of bike. I don't know specifically if they have a sell/trade option on their site (I assume they do), but I would contact them and see what advice they have for you since it is their specialty; they may just know someone looking for that bike, or may want one for the site's "museum".
I have no idea as to how collectable your specific model is, but I regularly see classic compact bikes being sold in the $50-$150 range. Moultons having been around for over 50 years are certainly some of the more desired compact bikes and may fetch a decent price. Also, they had front and rear suspension which was rare on most bikes (compact or not) of the era.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Very cool bike, Dex!
Jesper already pointed out a few good tips, including the fact that this Moulton has both front and rear suspension as it was unique for those days. It can easily go within $300-500 range in its current condition, I believe. Some collectors might even go over a bit that price.

Here is a sale back in 2015 with bike located in Vienna, Austria: https://www.dorotheum.com/en/l/2797915/
The starting bid was $590 and it went for $730.
Autobahn
at the very least $200 but worth more. where are you located?
(08-02-2020, 07:12 AM)G_M Wrote:  Very cool bike, Dex!
Jesper already pointed out a few good tips, including the fact that this Moulton has both front and rear suspension as it was unique for those days. It can easily go within $300-500 range in its current condition, I believe. Some collectors might even go over a bit that price.

Here is a sale back in 2015 with bike located in Vienna, Austria: https://www.dorotheum.com/en/l/2797915/
The starting bid was $590 and it went for $730.
Wow! I didn't how collectable they were. I need to go a little faster for that kind of moolah, but they're still cool bikes, well designed for their intended function.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Nice one. Any idea how much weight this bad boy can carry on the rear rack?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post