Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Raleigh "Trail" bike
My normal "off-road" bike, 1970 Raleigh "Sports" 3 speed. Not what people expect to see on the dirt/gravel trails, but a fun ride nonetheless, and still a great roadster; raced it in an informal criterium using LOOK clipless pedals to help with the speed. I have even used it for bike polo, but not quite the right bike for that use. I have all the OE parts in very good condition, but using other parts that better serve my needs and/or whims: race pedals, custom leather bar grips and pump grip I made, Brooks "Flyer" saddle (OE is a B.72). Weighs in at about 52 lbs.

Attached Files Image(s)

Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Nice one, Jesper! I like the black & brown play.
Bike polo? I have never seen it in real life. Where and when did you play it?
Autobahn
(04-23-2020, 10:25 AM)G_M Wrote:  Nice one, Jesper! I like the black & brown play.
Bike polo? I have never seen it in real life. Where and when did you play it?

My first, and possibly last time I played was after I rode that same bike for about 2 hours during an "open" criterium race (all ages and bike types, even tandems) for charity; it took awhile due to check-in points on an unmapped city course in Gainesville, FL, "alley cat" style. I rode 25 miles that day (not the saddle I'd recommend for that duration and hard riding style I do) and didn't come in last, even with the old 50 pounder; most were on racers. I then found out that some of the "kids" were going to play polo on the tennis courts afterwards. That was about 2 years ago; it is definitely not the proper bike for the sport, and I took a good knee scraper fall. The bike didn't get a scratch as I had installed LOOK clipless pedals on it for racing and that helped keep it off the ground. Generally they are using fairly short wheelbase single speed bikes with one hand brake and some cardboard shoved into the wheels to keep the mallets from intruding (not the best set-up); real polo bikes have disc wheels for safety purposes. My bike was the only anomaly out there: long wheel base, unprotected wheels, and racing pedals. I would do it again (with a polo bike, I don't have one), but on grass. It is very easy to crash on your own trying to cut extremely sharp turns and snagging your own mallet in the spokes, never mind others' mallets, and/or contact with other bikes especially when 2 or more are in a chase for the ball. I had fun, but would prefer softer surface to avoid the road rash; maybe play with folks my age (+50) since I doubt we'd be quite as intense as the youngsters. I will say it makes you realize how good you are at maneuvering under very slow speed, near or at "trackstand" conditions at times. Still, not for the faint of heart (not me!) or the unskilled (me!). They were playing this in the 1800's, but on grass!
Still my favorite ride for getting out for some fun and not trying to crush like I tend to on the race bikes. The Hercules comes in second place for fun due to rod braking (it's the slow 'n easy "pub run" bike). I haven't built up the WW2 bike (roadster in photo behind "Sporty") yet, as I plan to do a full custom restore on it.

Take care,
Jesper
Take care,
Jesper

25 mile criterium on Raleigh topped with youngsters bike polo session - strong! Thanks for the description, by the way. Google search gave me some fun images. This one is apparently from the 2011 World championships in Seattle. Canadians and French competing in the finals. Cycle polo, the traditional one on grass, was even played as a demonstration sport in 1908 Olympics - fun fact. I will watch videos this weekend.

In the photos, I have noticed hybrid bikes with suspension fork, fixed gear and folding bikes. But no 70's Raleigh so far Big Grin

Autobahn
The "Racing" Raleigh 3 spd in criterium mode while testing masked riding and respiration difference. I am planning on using for a time trial (unsanctioned) with bike essentially stock, excepting the LOOK pedals and removing the Brooks "Flyer" for period race saddle, just to see what average speed I can do. I sold my
TT "Lo-pro" frame and am now building another of same style geometry, but a better frame and more my size. Neighborhood friend caught me on one of my laps.

Take care,
Jesper

Glad to see you practicing safe biking Wink How was the masked test?
Autobahn
(09-17-2020, 05:41 PM)G_M Wrote:  Glad to see you practicing safe biking Wink How was the masked test?

The mask test worked fine for a "level 3" mask. I still need to try an N95 mask which definitely reduces the airflow substantially. That bike WILL NOT be used for any TT event; just not comfortable enough trying to maintain a crouched position for a long period of time, I have no body extension with the bar set-up. Also, I am rubbing the front fender when out of the saddle for a climb; I am using wider than stock tires so that may be why since the clearance between tire and fender stay is fairly small with the present set-up. Front hub is in good adjustment without excessive bearing play. What I get for trying to extend the function out of a bike that has served many purposes it was never designed for in the first place.
Take care,
Jesper

@Jesper I can't imagine using such Raleigh for TT purpose, to be honest.
(09-22-2020, 05:51 PM)Papa Dom Wrote:  @Jesper I can't imagine using such Raleigh for TT purpose, to be honest.
True!, but to be even more honest, I can't imagine using my body for TT purposes yet I still do (fused vertebra, et al.). I knew I was pushing the envelope when thinking about it using that bike, but the event is very small and informal. The events are more for fun and testing myself (and equipment) than competing against others. One year we did multiple events over two days, including a nighttime criterium (scary!), 1/4 mile "drag" races, and log pulls (a good one for the Raleigh). I think having used the Raleigh from events/riding ranging from criterium to BMX to polo use, and nearly everything else in between; it was a bit much asking that bike to do the TT job in a reasonable manner. I do however have a spare "Sports" bike with a step through frame and might just try a modification on it by replacing all the steel components (except rear wheel assy) with alloy parts (I think that's every component, maybe has alloy calipers already), smaller front rim, extended stem with drop bar, no fenders/guards; then do at least one of my "personal" TTs just to check out the difference, and of course have fun!
Take care,
Jesper

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-25-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Mark Decker