Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Wheels too big for frame?
Hello bike world!

I'm a novice biker trying to learn more about bike mechanics, in general. My girlfriend's used bike has some irregularities that are a cause of conern.

The back wheel/axle sits VERY far forward in the designated notch on the frame. To the point where we're concerned a good bump may knock the wheel off the frame while riding.

We have tried sliding the wheel further back into the axle slot, but if we do that the wheel then drags across the bike frame near where the back brake contacts the wheel.

So, is it possible that the previous owner put 27" wheels on a bike that should only have 26" wheels? Could this be fixed by replacing the wheels or something else?

The bike needs some more work too: new brakes, new shifters, etc. but I'll leave that for another post.
I hope this all makes sense and please forgive my bike jargon. Pictures attached. THANK YOU ALL!!!!!
THANK YOU ALL!!!!!
hello and welcome to the forum.
the rear axle is not seated properly, that's for certain. a mismatch is very possible by the look of it, not all 26" frames can take 27"+ wheels. what bike model is it?
Hey!

Based on the serial #, looks like it's from July of 1967, Schwinn 'World Sport.' Though on Schwinn's website, I can't find the specific 'World Sport' model. We purchased the bike used with the 27" wheels on it already.

(04-05-2020, 11:50 AM)Papa Dom Wrote:  hello and welcome to the forum.
the rear axle is not seated properly, that's for certain. a mismatch is very possible by the look of it, not all 26" frames can take 27"+ wheels. what bike model is it?
(04-03-2020, 06:56 PM)DMHixon Wrote:  The back wheel/axle sits VERY far forward in the designated notch on the frame. To the point where we're concerned a good bump may knock the wheel off the frame while riding.

We have tried sliding the wheel further back into the axle slot, but if we do that the wheel then drags across the bike frame near where the back brake contacts the wheel.
The wheel certainly must be too big for the frame. Is it the same size as the front wheel? It could be that someone replaced a damaged wheel with the 27" one, not thinking about if it's the right size. The only solution is to replace it with a 26" wheel.

Incidentally, the 'slot' you mentioned is called a dropout, and the axle needs to be pulled right to the back of it. Perhaps the chain is a bit slack from this being so far forward?
If I knew how to ride a bike properly, I'd do it every time.

Possibly Related Threads...