Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Regreasing
So i just bought a new 2019 bmx ive had it for a little over three months. Should I regrease the bike so it can feel fresh or should I leave the old grease? it's dumb but I'm still new to working on my bike. I have most necessary tools to work on my bike. Any other type of advice for the future or something like that would be immensely appreciated. Thank you Smile
Good day.
3+ months isn't that much and I wouldn't touch it yet .. wait for 6 months minimum for a general greasing job. I'd suggest doing some greasing earlier only if your BMX regularly "sees" dust, mud and so on. Any of the parts causing issues currently?
Yes currently my front Axel has been stripped für to an unknown reason which renders my bike useless and there is one more thing. I think my headset has a problem because sometimes when I got steer it does sort of a small ding noise. I already if its my brake cable which it isnt so that worries me aswell.
(03-25-2020, 08:09 PM)Migz8125 Wrote:  Yes currently my front Axel has been stripped für to an unknown reason which renders my bike useless and there is one more thing. I think my headset has a problem because sometimes when I got steer it does sort of a small ding noise. I already if its my brake cable which it isnt so that worries me aswell.
You say you bought it new. From a bike shop? If so they should take care of the problems for you. But if you bought it used, then it does need some work. If it was me, I'd remove the axle from the front wheel to see what's wrong with it. If it has all the ball bearings and they're not rusty, grease them and put the axle back together, being careful not to overtighten the cones.

Same with the headset. You say it makes a ding. Do you feel any notchiness when you steer it? Is it loose? Hold the front brake on and rock the bike back and forth to make sure it's not loose. You should not hear a clicking noise. If you do, then it's loose. If you have to take the steering apart, watch how the bearings come out, so that they go back the same way (if they're in good shape). You can soon get messed up if you don't get it right the first time.

If the bike belonged to someone else, then you don't know what it's been through. In that case I'd suggest checking the rear axle, too. Clean all the old grease out and put new in. I highly recommend White Lightning Crystal grease. It's specially formulated for bikes and is waterproof. I bought a pot of it rather than a tube because I service my two bikes. I believe it's silicone based, and can't be cleaned with your usual degreaser.

There are some good online videos about carrying out various repairs on your bike. I've learned a lot from them.
If I knew how to ride a bike properly, I'd do it every time.
(03-25-2020, 07:25 AM)Migz8125 Wrote:  So i just bought a new 2019 bmx ive had it for a little over three months. Should I regrease the bike so it can feel fresh or should I leave the old grease? it's dumb but I'm still new to working on my bike. I have most necessary tools to work on my bike. Any other type of advice for the future or something like that would be immensely appreciated. Thank you Smile

Unfortunately, as a rule of thumb, it's customary to overhaul all your bike parts when you get them that require grease.

Wheels will be dry. Bottom Brackets shallow. Etc. Etc.

I personally use Lucas Xtra Heavy Duty grease, and I really love the performance over all the claimed bike brands.
(05-19-2021, 09:33 AM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  
(03-25-2020, 07:25 AM)Migz8125 Wrote:  So i just bought a new 2019 bmx ive had it for a little over three months. Should I regrease the bike so it can feel fresh or should I leave the old grease? it's dumb but I'm still new to working on my bike. I have most necessary tools to work on my bike. Any other type of advice for the future or something like that would be immensely appreciated. Thank you Smile

Unfortunately, as a rule of thumb, it's customary to overhaul all your bike parts when you get them that require grease.

Wheels will be dry. Bottom Brackets shallow. Etc. Etc.

I personally use Lucas Xtra Heavy Duty grease, and I really love the performance over all the claimed bike brands.

Agreed on the Lucas grease...only stuff I use.
New bikes should come ready to ride. It says a lot about bike manufacturers, if bikes are put together without appropriate grease.
(09-12-2022, 11:54 PM)ichitan Wrote:  New bikes should come ready to ride. It says a lot about bike manufacturers, if bikes are put together without appropriate grease.

This is normal. I have never had a new part that was not properly lubricated. Used parts/bikes should always be cleaned and overhauled first before putting into service even if everything looks and feels good regarding function and safety.

As a note, I have used many types of grease from bike specific (e.g. Phil Wood, etc.) to automotive, synthetic, etc.
I have never done a proper controlled test to determine which works best, but I know that I have not suffered and excessive wear from one type/brand over another. .
The main issue is periodic servicing of the bike relative to its use (daily, weekly, etc.), and your conditions (wet, dry, road, off-road, etc.). Most folks do not service their bike as regularly as they should and at that point it doesn't matter what grease was used.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS