Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Bike helmet visors?
There was a comment on facebook post :"Why don't helmet manufacturers put a decent visor on their helmets to keep the sun out of a rider's eyes?"

My skiing helmet has visor with sunglasses. But he must have meant that plastic visor that's attached to mountain bike helmets? I have one on my MTB helmet. Does it block the view in traffic? Plain simple, I wear proper bike sunglasses when there's strong sun. What do you think? It def made me think
Well for road cyclists it's easy ... because of aerodynamics. Creates drag and so, every details counts haha
"Carbon is faster"
(01-07-2020, 11:43 AM)Nikko Wrote:  Well for road cyclists it's easy ... because of aerodynamics. Creates drag and so, every details counts haha

I honestly can't believe that such small detail can make difference with aerodynamics Huh
(01-07-2020, 03:56 PM)bibimbap Wrote:  
(01-07-2020, 11:43 AM)Nikko Wrote:  Well for road cyclists it's easy ... because of aerodynamics. Creates drag and so, every details counts haha

I honestly can't believe that such small detail can make difference with aerodynamics Huh

Yes, for pro cyclists it matters. Every Watt you save during the day can decide if you win or not. Especially in time trials and triathlon the attention to details is fascinating. Yes, they do book time in wind tunnels to test equipment and bike positions. As I only made it to the top 10 in my age group in pretty small local triathlons I never bothered. Plus i need to become a much better runner first, there's more time to gain there for me.

And the visor looks crap in my opinion (not everybody needs to agree, but then you are wrong ;-))
Whatever protects your brain! I've seen mountain bikes on the road with road helmets. Road bikes on the road with MTB helmets. Bikes in the trails with a road helmet -That's me! Even road bikes and beach cruisers with skateboard helmets. WEAR A HELMET! Too many people don't take that simple advice and precaution. "It will never happen to me," right? "I bike safely." Be safe.
(01-07-2020, 11:39 AM)bibimbap Wrote:  There was a comment on facebook post :"Why don't helmet manufacturers put a decent visor on their helmets to keep the sun out of a rider's eyes?"

My skiing helmet has visor with sunglasses. But he must have meant that plastic visor that's attached to mountain bike helmets? I have one on my MTB helmet. Does it block the view in traffic? Plain simple, I wear proper bike sunglasses when there's strong sun. What do you think? It def made me think

I've seen tons of mountain bike helmets and never one with a 'visor'. MTB helmets have a different design. Other than all the lightweight and holes for air channels, they extend out on top a little to keep the sun out. There's no visor but they are designed to keep the sun out. You can see it in the image as well.

Attached Files Image(s)

(01-07-2020, 11:39 AM)bibimbap Wrote:  There was a comment on facebook post :"Why don't helmet manufacturers put a decent visor on their helmets to keep the sun out of a rider's eyes?"

I simply wear a baseball cap under my helmet and it works great as a visor. It also protects my scalp from sunburns. I do have the ensure that my cap doesn't have the button on the top though as that will dig into skin of my head..:-)
(12-12-2022, 12:21 AM)GirishH Wrote:  

I simply wear a baseball cap under my helmet and it works great as a visor. It also protects my scalp from sunburns. I do have the ensure that my cap doesn't have the button on the top though as that will dig into skin of my head..:-)

that's a #lifehack!

Possibly Related Threads...