Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Bike distance help
Hi, I am relatively new to biking and have only done about 10 miles a day for a year now, with a few exceptions where I did 20 miles. I am looking to bike to my parent's house for Christmas eve which is about 90 miles away. So my question is do you guys think I could make it and/or will I be able to move afterward.
Hi banana, very impressive plan there! "Biking home for Christmas".
My first thoughts - in theory you can make it (might take too many hours), yet the aftermath will follow you throughout Christmas. You don't want to have leg pain + fatigue while spending magical Christmas time with your family. Therefore, please, don't do it now Smile Lets leave this 90 mile challenge for 2020!

Questions on the side
- How is your overall fitness level?
- How is the route? Flat, w/ some ups and downs?
- Were you planning to wear Santa Claus costume while biking? Big Grin
Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
Biking home for Christmas, indeed ... keep us updated about your decision
"Uphill, downhill, I like that"
Did you do the 10 miles every day, as a commute? How long did it take you?

In general the 9 fold distance is a lot more. It would be impressive if you pull it off! If you want to do it, maybe split it in two days? Though the first few miles on the second day are hard. Tips and ideas: ride light, think about what you pack. Bring enough water and some snacks. Make sure to take several breaks, and take them soon enough! Stop for a light snack, some cake or so and a coffee. Don't set out too fast. Oh, and have a backup plan ready, like a train you could take or so.... You could use a bus / train for the first leg and then bike the rest, would also work.

I was reasonably fit and then decided to bike to my parents place. I usually had a 15km commute one way and did that about 3-4 times a week. Distance to my parents: 180km. The last 30 were bad, the last 10 brutal... Felt it the whole weekend, but I was really proud! It was my first really long ride.
(12-23-2019, 03:19 PM)Joe_W Wrote:  Oh, and have a backup plan ready, like a train you could take or so.... You could use a bus / train for the first leg and then bike the rest, would also work.

Great pointers, Joe! Especially about having a backup plan. I once bought my first student bike >35 miles from the city. where I lived. Went there by train and had a plan to bike all the way back. Planned 3 hours of biking turned into two fold hours at least. Unexpected rain showers, deflated tires (slow speed), bike that wasn't suitable for road biking or touring (entry level full-suspension), lack of food, plus it got dark and I had no bike lights ... eh, it was a great relief to finally reach home even though physically I felt OK despite the rain and moisture. I didn't expect all the hickups, I didn't have appropriate equipment, no extra food and no plan B & C. Back then not many had smartphones and there weren't convenient apps. Also, as I had just moved there - I had almost no one to call in case of emergency, no one with car. Google Maps wasn't really a thing, so I wasn't sure where's the closest train station. No idea about the time table as well ...

All in all, always be prepared with B & C plan and do not overestimate your abilities Smile You might reach your destination eventually, but it can take at least twice the planned time.
Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
@banana146 Did you do it?
"Uphill, downhill, I like that"
Without knowing any other details of your fitness level in general, this can't be answered. My honest observation of the known information is that you don't have enough base miles or endurance training in your legs. Sorry. Train for the 4th of July- six months till Christmas ride to your parent's house.
I see that your post is from 2019. So, I'm not sure if you already did the ride or waited for 2022...

You could do the ride if you find another rider to enjoy the journey/pain and especially if you take the day easy. But I agree with other's that it depends on your fitness level. Do you do other kinds of exercise or training during the week or cycling is your only exercise. Please do have some backup options such as calling a friend or being able to hitch a ride on a bus or train. It also depends on terrain, i.e., how the daily 10-mile compares to the 90-mile route (hilly versus flat or such).

I went from daily 8-10 mile to a 60+ miler but spent the entire day riding that 60+ miler. That got me hooked to long distance rides..:-)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

01-05-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: ichitan