Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Carbitubo
I found one post for this model, but no info/pics.

Attached Files Image(s)

Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Paint looks very attractive, I'd like to see the whole frame Blush
Focus Mares AL 105
(12-07-2019, 06:27 PM)Henry_G Wrote:  Paint looks very attractive, I'd like to see the whole frame Blush

Hi Henry,

I had posted more photos and text, but something happened when trying to post. I will attempt to repost when I get a chance.
Take care,
Jesper

oh man, is this the Colnago's frame with double/twin downtube?
(12-09-2019, 03:36 PM)Papa Dom Wrote:  oh man, is this the Colnago's frame with double/twin downtube?

Hopefully the photos will post. About 52cm, aluminum lugged, twin downtube frame; a lot less "ALAN" like than the earlier single tubed version. Frame was built up when new as a display bike for a couple years in a shop. Frame got stripped of components except the custom matching deltas. Frame was never ridden, stored for about 25 years. I picked it up about a year and a half ago. Pretty much have all the bits and pieces to build up with newer carbon parts. Unfortunately, I think the deltas although cool, might look out of place when finished. Ritchey Pro carbon stem and bar, Camp record carbon brake lever/shifter, Camp Record 10 carbon ultra torque cranks, Record 10 front/rear carbon/Ti derailleurs, Kalloy/Colnago seat post. LOOK pedals. Black Flite Ti perforated leather saddle. Don't yet know what the bar tape/color is going to be. Using an alloy adapter for the threadless stem. Hunting some wheels, but have been distracted with other vintage steel projects. This is a "grail frame" for me.

Attached Files Image(s)

Take care,
Jesper

this is a gem, Jesper! where did you pick it up?
Whyy did they make double tube back in the days?
Does it have any special advantages over the traditional frame or is it just "for the looks"??
(12-11-2019, 08:56 AM)Papa Dom Wrote:  this is a gem, Jesper! where did you pick it up?

Bike was purchased from an Italian source. I have couple of folks over there who are always hunting for older frames; I usually buy something fairly old ('50s and '80s), and odd from them; this was more of an impulse buy due to rarity and being in an unused condition.

(12-12-2019, 09:15 AM)wwwalterrr Wrote:  Whyy did they make double tube back in the days? Does it have any special advantages over the traditional frame or is it just "for the looks"??

Hi Walter,

Supposedly it made it stiffer in that area and at the BB shell. The original "Carbitubo" (late '80s) was a single downtube and looked like an ALAN alloy frame but with the carbon tubes. Both bikes were designed with ALAN involved. Apparently, if you read the history on this frame; Tony Rominger was a BIG fan, and hoarded more than a couple for himself. He did win the '94 Vuelta on it; Fondriest won the '93 Milan-San Remo with same.
Colnago came out with the "BiTitan" around the same time (mid '90s).

Jesper
Take care,
Jesper

Side by side down tubes are nothing new, but used on steel frames, not carbon/Ti.
Take care,
Jesper

Pretty much have the parts I need now, but I haven't tried to fit a 10 spd rear to that frame, and now I can't travel to check it out since I am more than a few miles distance from it. Here's my planned group as it sits waiting for installation.

General Note: I work in a hospital and we are trying our best with less. Please stay home if at all possible; work, food, gas, medical are necessities, but too many people are out for no reason and stand the chance of becoming infected or infecting others. Always wear a mask (anything is better than nothing) and gloves when in public. Thanks!

Take care,
Jesper

Attached Files Image(s)

Take care,
Jesper

So I see a full Campagnolo Record 10 sp drivetrain with Centaur cassette and Ritchey's carbon handlebar & stem.

Are the brakes also from Record? Did you hunt down any suitable wheelset?
Focus Mares AL 105
(04-10-2020, 04:04 AM)Henry_G Wrote:  So I see a full Campagnolo Record 10 sp drivetrain with Centaur cassette and Ritchey's carbon handlebar & stem.

Are the brakes also from Record? Did you hunt down any suitable wheelset?

Hey Henry,

I have excellent Mavic Ksyrium K10 wheelset with a Shimano freehub, so would need to change for Campy application, but I would like to find a set of Cosmic Carbone wheels. Thus far I haven't found any in my price range. I could sell the delta brakes to help with that expense. I might just build a wheelset from scratch, but I still need to see if I can fit a 10 speed cassette/hub in that frame regardless of the rims I use. I have adequate wheels to put on it with Campy/Shimano 7 or 8 speeds already that will fit. My work and the travel restrictions are keeping me from putting parts and frame together to properly verify fit.
I got all those parts some new, or in excellent used condition, pretty much a complete Record 10 carbon set up w/Ritchey cockpit. don't know what the other 10 spd cassette is; probably Record due to primarily having Ti sprockets and spacers, the new Centaur 10 was thrown in with other spare stuff; still have 2011 Gios frame I can use the 10 speed on but lacking a stock fork for it. All those parts cost $400 so a pretty good deal considering.

Please stay safe out there,
Jesper
Take care,
Jesper