Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Tire Inflation Survey
Hello, my name is Noah, I'm part of a three man team in a high school engineering capstone class attempting to create a new, more efficient solution to inflate bike tires. We would sincerely appreciate it if you would take 5 minutes out of your day to answer our survey to the best of your ability to help with the justification of our proposed problem. To clarify: our proposed problem is simply the insufficient methods of inflating of tires, finding improvements to current solutions like CO2 cartridges, portable pumps, etc... - or inventing a new solution to inflate said tires. The survey is to simply prove or disprove the insufficiency of current methods.
Thank you!

- Matthew, Griffin, and Noah

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc4HfCncLWQ0GNX4gil-tayg1csYi2FTdTwl3F6BIaZaUuujA/viewform?usp=sf_link
(10-22-2019, 12:44 PM)Noahlaw3 Wrote:  Hello, my name is Noah, I'm part of a three man team in a high school engineering capstone class attempting to create a new, more efficient solution to inflate bike tires. We would sincerely appreciate it if you would take 5 minutes out of your day to answer our survey to the best of your ability to help with the justification of our proposed problem. To clarify: our proposed problem is simply the insufficient methods of inflating of tires, finding improvements to current solutions like CO2 cartridges, portable pumps, etc... - or inventing a new solution to inflate said tires. The survey is to simply prove or disprove the insufficiency of current methods.
One pump your survey didn't mention is the floor pump. I use it to maintain my tire pressures at home. It's a lot quicker and easier than a mini pump. I carry a high volume mini pump on my fat bike which I've never used. I got a flat tire several miles from home, on a hot day, and found a screw in the tire. I had tools and a patch kit but pumping those huge tires up under a hot sun was more than I cared to experience, so I called the wife to come and get me. It was easy to remove the wheels to pack it in the car.

Perhaps I ought to carry a co2 kit on the bike. I don't know how many cartridges it would take to fill the tire, but probably more than one. I read that tires inflated with co2 tend to lose pressure more quickly than air and should be filled with air at the earliest opportunity. I've put 7,500 miles on the bike in three years, and only one puncture, but I fitted the fat bike with road tires because I only ride pavement. The knobbly tires that were original equipment, were susceptible to punctures from sand burrs if ridden in grass. I found both of my knobbly tires flat, one morning, and about fourteen sand burrs in each one. The road tires are hard-wearing and haven't been punctured in long grass.

I also ride a hybrid with 700C tires. A mini pump is adequate for those. I've never had a puncture in the tires since I got the bike over two years ago, and I ride it every day, as I do with the fat bike. I've put over 4,000 miles on it.
If I knew how to ride a bike properly, I'd do it every time.
Survey completed, check.
I find CO2 patron very odd to use, never touched one since trying them once on my old Centurion and failing to get ayn result with two patrons.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

11-01-2019, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Zviedrs