Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

olive oil on bike chain
Big Grin 
Went through reddit this morning and stopped at one post that discussed olive oil as bike chain lube replacement. The guy was in Italy at that moment where bike stores are closed for the off season (really ?) and asked if olive oil will work as chain lube for now ... at first, sounded somehow like a joke to me but he actually could be serious. Do you guys have something to comment on this or have wisdom to share? Big Grin
The chain on a bicycle does not just all of a sudden need lubed. It would have to be provoked i.e. rain, harsh elements like sand/mud, extended use and so on. It just needs maintained as such. So if you let things go and are in a pinch anything is probably better than nothing but i would opt for automotive motor oil over Olive oil in such a case. easily obtained on the fly.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I think olive oil tends to become sticky. Maybe canola could work better?
In a pinch it would work.
Hi. This reminded me of one article I read some five years ago. So I searched for it and found an old chain lube efficieny research with Friction facts & Velonews testing 50+ lubricants. Surprisingly olive oil was among the the top five fastest lubes in the efficiency test. However, the longevity is questionable + when dirt, mud and other elemenets come in play ... nah, it's just not gonna work. But as an emergency chain lube replacement, why not.

Reading here: https://www.ceramicspeed.com/media/3505/velonews-friction-facts-chain-lube-tests-combined.pdf

Autobahn
(10-05-2019, 02:42 PM)very hangry Wrote:  Went through reddit this morning and stopped at one post that discussed olive oil as bike chain lube replacement. The guy was in Italy at that moment where bike stores are closed for the off season (really ?) and asked if olive oil will work as chain lube for now ... at first, sounded somehow like a joke to me but he actually could be serious. Do you guys have something to comment on this or have wisdom to share? Big Grin
I'm with Painkiller on this, that chains don't just suddenly need lubricating. What kind of a cyclist doesn't have chain lube at home, apart from those who ride without any maintenance at all until the bike rusts out? Or at least a can of oil such as '3 in 1'?
If I knew how to ride a bike properly, I'd do it every time.
+1 Charley
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Well I can only agree to you guys ... the circumstances of that story just seemed too odd to ignore. Biking in Italy, suddenly having to lube the chain, every bike shop is closed, then bringing up the olive oil. Perhaps white wine works as a chain lube (more as degreaser)? Alright, jokes aside. I can imagine a scenario when that person had to clean & degrease the chain (too much dirt, dust) but did not have any lube taken on the tour .. or perhaps changed chains and put on a new one.
A new chain is already lubed. Don't remove the factory supplied stuff. Unless you work for one of them bike tuning companies (ceramic speed or whatever).