New: Take part in the January 2020 BikeRide Giveaway for a HEDKAYSE | ONE bike helmet

Welcome guest! Register or sign in to participate in the cycling discussions.

frame damage
a new one on me[Image: bustedbike.jpg]]
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Shocked 
Oh wow, how did this happen??
Autobahn
I am sure it was a slow progression of alloy fatigue, it is a friend of mines bike. He commutes daily, in fact I have never seen him drive a car. He was merely pulling away from a stop light when it failed.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Right... "I was just riding along when" Wink
(08-09-2019, 08:09 PM)Joe_W Wrote:  Right... "I was just riding along when" Wink
Yep, Joe. that is exactly how it went. 20 yrs of daily commuting. The guy is the biggest cycling advocate in our city, has been for over 30yrs. He lives, eats breathes, and shits bicycles. He lays down more miles on a bicycle in one year than most people ride in 10yrs. It just goes to show there is a life expectancy to an aluminum frame and this was ridden enough to bring out the fatigue factor. He is an X shop owner in the area, builder and ace bicycle mechanic bar none. I am not a big fan of aluminum bicycles myself. though I do have some, My full sprung 1990 Mongoose AMP. my 1995 Mongoose IBOC Comp (bonded), and 1989 Miyata SkyRunner also billet and bonded alloy framed. 1994 Barracuda welded aluminum.
(I was just kidding... That phrase is probably the most often used one when bringing a bike to the Lbs)

Sounds like a cool guy! Makes me glad the new frame I bought is steel, though...
(08-09-2019, 12:27 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  a new one on me[Image: bustedbike.jpg]]
There's some stuff you can spray inside the seat tube, but who thinks to do that? Condensate can be a killer as it silently attacks the metal as you ride.
If I knew how to ride a bike properly, I'd do it every time.