Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Suspension fork on city streets... worth swapping out?
OK, so I ride a Mountain Bike with Slicks to work every day. I've picked up a sense that a suspension fork on city streets wastes energy. Is the problem significant enough that I should consider swapping out my suspension fork with a solid fork? I never take the bike off road, so that doesn't weigh in the equation at all.

Thanks for any help,
Tony
A suspension fork adds weight, requires maintenance, and does waste energy as some of your power is lost every time you pedal. A solid fork will save you weight and energy, so if you never take the bike off road, I think it would be worth swapping.

Do fork sizes vary greatly? Or does there seem to be a few standard measurements? I have a spare part bike at home that has a solid fork on it, and I know the wheels are 26 inches, but not sure about the size of the stem on either bike. My fear is taking apart both bikes only to find they're millimeters different.

The first thing to figure out is whether your headsets are <a href="http://bikeride.com/overhaul-threaded-headset/">threaded</a> or <a href="http://bikeride.com/adjust-threadless-headset/">threadless</a>.

Oh yeah...crap...that may do me in.

If you get a rigid fork make sure you get one that is "suspension corrected" for the travel of your forks. Surly and Tange I know make rigid forks specifically designed to replace suspension forks.

Another option is a suspension fork with "lock out" capability, meaning you can turn the suspension on or off.