Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

SunRun vs Shimano vs Epoch Freewheels
I need some advice. I bought a used, "as-is", 2015 Fuji Nevada 1.9 Mountain Bike with 3 x 7 gears from a LBS. I ride it a lot, 10-20 miles 3-7 times a week. The spin-on freewheel was a factory issued SunRun 14-34 and it literally fell apart in 2 months. (Yes, SunRun, not Sunrace) I purchased and replaced the old SunRun with a new SunRun 14-34 and after 3 weeks it is wobbling. I had another LBS check it out, they are scratching their heads. I am wanting a better quality freewheel than the Fuji factory issue of the P.O.S. SunRun Brand. The Shimano Tourney 14-34 makes sense but is there a better made freewheel? I am really interested in the DNP Epoch 11-32.
Is DNP Epoch a better quality Freewheel than SunRun?

Is the DNP Epoch quality close or better than Shimano?

If price is an indication of quality.....DNP Epoch Freewheels cost more than SunRun or Shimano.

Does anybody out there has any experience with DNC Epoch?

Thanks. Smile
I am surprised your 2015 bike still uses freewheel, most new bikes use cassettes. As per replacements consider Shimano or some here like SRAM brand. I never had any issues with mine.
Never Give Up!!!
(06-25-2015, 10:19 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  I am surprised your 2015 bike still uses freewheel, most new bikes use cassettes. As per replacements consider Shimano or some here like SRAM brand. I never had any issues with mine.

Thanks GeorgeET:
It was a surprise to me too. I was under the impression that it had freehubs. I guess it is "Buyer beware" when you buy the cheapest model of any line of bikes. Unlike cassettes, 7 speed freewheels have very few options, a permanent solution would be to upgrade to a 9-10 speed freehub...but a LBS price for that, just means it ain't happening anytime soon.
If you tried to upgrade to a a 9-10 speed free hub the cost of wheel and all he components would cost more that the bike. IMO just get a new freewheel cluster . Make sure the threads on he wheel are not cross threaded.
Never Give Up!!!
I don't have any experience with DNP, but I can see a lot of complaints online that they're just as cheaply made.

I'd go with a shimano or Sunrace. None really makes any high quality freewheels anymore. But even the lower end ones should hold up reasonably well.

If you did want to upgrade, you could get a 7 speed cassette wheel so you don't have to change shifters and maybe derailleurs too. But even that's probably not worth it on this bike.
(06-26-2015, 06:04 AM)DaveM Wrote:  I don't have any experience with DNP, but I can see a lot of complaints online that they're just as cheaply made.

I'd go with a shimano or Sunrace. None really makes any high quality freewheels anymore. But even the lower end ones should hold up reasonably well.

If you did want to upgrade, you could get a 7 speed cassette wheel so you don't have to change shifters and maybe derailleurs too. But even that's probably not worth it on this bike.

Hi DaveM and GeorgeET:
I figure, I'll keep an eye out for a used freehub wheel if the freewheels keep falling apart. My goal is to ride not to fix all the time. I don't want to stray far from home with another weak and failing freewheel, once was bad enough. I found bad reviews on EVERY freewheel, even the $60 IRD freewheels. I don't want to continuously replace freewheels every few months just because I ride a lot. I may have to upgrade to freehub or get another bike, this is CRAZY. The gear cluster on my 1970 Schwinn Continental lasted over 15 years, by 1980, everything imaginable was replaced, somethings several times. I was an addict, I rode town-to-town-to-town, sometimes in the rain, sometimes I got caught in the rural areas during storms. I couldn't stand waiting out those 6-7 month long winters so I rode in the ice and snow too. I broke this arm and then that arm, so I rode with my arm in a cast.....but the Schwinn gear cluster never broke. I hoped there was some sort of first hand DNC knowledge.....or I am going to try Shimano next. The Shimano freewheel I need is labeled "Tourney" which is Shimano's least quality rating...there is nothing better than least quality? SAD, my Fuji solves a lot of my Schwinn weaknesses....the Fuji bike frame is stronger, the disc brakes are excellent (less crashes from wet rims), the tires are good(better traction, less crashes in gravel patches and snow), the handlebars are better(my hands will bother me less)....but the rear gears are too weak. If the rear gears cannot be resolved, this new bike is junk.
I have bad experience with Shimano freewheels (but excellent with their cassettes).

I have excellent experience with Sunrace freewheels (but not so with their cassettes).

I had excellent experience with DNP 13-23 7 speed cassettes, but have not tried anything else DNP.

The 11 speed DNP freewheels are expensive, and you need an expensive tool to remove them.  They have no competition in freewheels with less than 13 teeth in the smallest cog, which allows them to charge more.

My current bikes have Shimano or SRAM cassettes.

I would get a 13-28 Sunrace 7 speed cassette for your bike.
Nigel
(06-26-2015, 10:51 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  I have bad experience with Shimano freewheels (but excellent with their cassettes).

I have excellent experience with Sunrace freewheels (but not so with their cassettes).

I had excellent experience with DNP 13-23 7 speed cassettes, but have not tried anything else DNP.

The 11 speed DNP freewheels are expensive, and you need an expensive tool to remove them.  They have no competition in freewheels with less than 13 teeth in the smallest cog, which allows them to charge more.

My current bikes have Shimano or SRAM cassettes.  

I would get a 13-28 Sunrace 7 speed cassette for your bike.

Thanks Nigel.

I went to several more LBSs and a few spoke highly of Sunrace Freewheels. I had more time to decide, I exchanged the wobbly Sunrun freewheel I bought.
As an update... The second replacement Sunrun 14-34 freewheel worked great, which has outlasted the first replacement Sunrun 14-34 freewheel but my desire for a better freewheel eventually led me to buy a DNP Epoch 11-32 freewheel, which also works great. Thanks for the comments. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

05-22-2014, 11:31 AM
Last Post: nfmisso

10-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Last Post: DaveM