Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Will this crankset work with this freewheel?
Hello everyone. I'm new to here so what I'm going to ask might be stupid. I'm trying to fix a bike I inherited but I'll need to change wheels and probably crankset as well. If somebody could have a look and let me know if be really grateful. Also the front wheel's hub is 100mm but my fork's 90mm. I read on other forum it should be ok to stretch the fork to fit the hub in. Is that true? Thanks a lot and have a nice day!

Wheels:

26 x 1 3/8 (590 RIM) SINGLE SPEED WHEEL SET COMPLETE FOR TRADITIONAL TOWN BIKE

26 x 1 3/8 (590 x 19) ALLOY RIMS

ALLOY REAR HUB OVER LOCK NUT DISTANCE 110mm

ALLOY FRONT HUB, OVER LOCK NUT DISTANCE 100mm

36 SPOKES ( EACH WHEEL )

3/8 SPINDLE FRONT AND REAR

26 x 1 3/8” ROADSTER TREAD WHITEWALL TYRES

18 TEETH FREEWHEEL

Crankset: http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/251799110091
Your short question is not stupid but the answer is not simple, and is dependent on a LOT of info that we don't have. First, any freewheel will go with any crank, given the right width chain (1/8 vs. 3/32) but there's something called *chainline* that you need to educate yourself about. Secondly, that crankset does not come with a BB, and different cranks take different spindles, both in length and in taper of the square portion (JIS vs. ISO - another point of education). Thirdly, the rear dropout width in the rear is an issue as well as the front, especially if the bike is not originally a single speed (the term here is OLD - over locknut distance). Finally forks can be bent, but it's difficult to move them and important that they be centered and the dropouts aligned afterward.

Google is your friend here, as are the sites parktool.com and sheldonbrown.com. I would suggest you learn a bit more about the variables involved and how they apply to your situation, and then come back with any remaining questions.
Thanks a lot for taking time to explain this to me. Much appreciated! I'll have a look at all those things. Just two days ago all I knew about bicycles was that they had wheels and if you pedal they got you to places. Really exciting learning curve. Thanks.
And some pictures would be very useful.
Nigel
(01-23-2015, 01:59 PM)Romana Wrote:  Thanks a lot for taking time to explain this to me. Much appreciated! I'll have a look at all those things. Just two days ago all I knew about bicycles was that they had wheels and if you pedal they got you to places. Really exciting learning curve. Thanks.

You're welcome, and thank you for understanding you have to do some of your own work to learn. I think it's actually a lot more fun to explore things on your own and then come to more experienced persons when you need it.

Possibly Related Threads...