Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Poll: which is better vbrakes or disc brakes
disc brakes safer is it safer
vbrakes safer

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Converting from vbrakes to disc brakes on a 2005 21 speed vertical pk7
hey im having a difficult trying to figure two thing out one is my mountain bike able to have disc brakes and two is it a good idea to switch to disc brakes from vbrakes any help please and im trying to get my two mountain bikes ready for the summer time in georgia so please any words of advise or great tips or suggestions will be glady taken because im at a major confusion im bout to go crazy trying to figure this out
southern pride
Not a practical endeavor.

Is it possible; yes, can you afford it NO.
For the front: just purchase a fork with disc tabs on it.
For the rear: you need something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-MTB-Bicycle-Bike-Rear-Disc-Brake-Adapter-Kit-170mm-Red-/360781796823

Then you need hubs compatible with disc brakes and disc brakes. If you choose the cable kind, you can re-use your levers.

Disc brakes function better in mud and sand - usually. When wet, with good pads, disc and V-brakes are about the same. In the dry, also about the same.

If you go with hydraulic disc brakes (more $$$), there are some advantages with lever effort and control.

Going up hill, disc brakes are heavier....

If you want disc brakes, purchase a bike with them.
Nigel
thank you and i might have a way to get what you told me that i need so that the same for my 18 speed too tho? and what kind of front fork do i need for it to work correctly on my 21 speed tho
southern pride
(12-31-2014, 09:38 AM)joseph wolf man Wrote:  thank you and i might have a way to get what you told me that i need so that the same for my 18 speed too tho? and what kind of front fork do i need for it to work correctly on my 21 speed tho

Please type using correct English grammar - what you typed is very difficult to understand.
Nigel
exactly what type of fork do I need to convert my mountain bike to disc brakes so I can order and what tires do I also need to get so I can do that too
southern pride
One that fits.

You need to specify:
* suspension or not.
* steerer tube size: 1", 1 1/8", other.
* steerer tube type: threaded or threadless.
* crown race diameter.

Are you going to get a new head set?

Tires: what kind of terrain are you going to be riding on? Personally, I like Nashbar's City Slick, which is great on pavement, but not so good elsewhere.
Nigel
I`m on dirt and gravel road and head set what is that exactly I don't remember and full suspension too and how do u measure all that tho too
southern pride
(01-06-2015, 01:12 PM)joseph wolf man Wrote:  I`m on dirt and gravel road and head set what is that exactly I don't remember and full suspension too and how do u measure all that tho too

Read everything here and in all the links: http://sheldonbrown.com/glossary.html
Nigel
thank you
southern pride

Possibly Related Threads...