Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

How do I remove this crank?
[attachment=5378]Hi all I found this place by google, Im going to sound like an idiot but I hope someone can help me. Im not much of a bike person but I bought this trike to ride with my kids for fun, exercise & family outings. Unfortunately not long after buying (secondhand) I was riding and the right hand pedal came out of the crank, the crank thread is striped. Through googling I have become aware the reason is who ever assembled the bike put the right pedal on the left crank and vice versa.

Bike is from trike-bike.com.au .
[attachment=5379]
[attachment=5380]
[attachment=5381]

There was a screw in cap/plug each side and then a nut which we have removed assuming the cranks would then pull off but that is not happening?
(10-02-2014, 09:45 PM)Dustee Wrote:  There was a screw in cap/plug each side and then a nut which we have removed assuming the cranks would then pull off but that is not happening?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMuOIaVonrI
There is a bike specific tool, a crank puller that you fit into the large threads you see in your bottom picture. Then you use a spanner or socket to operate the tool, pushing a center pin against the axle in the middle while gripping & pulling off the crank arm.
Are you in Austrailia?
It is an inexpensive tool in the US. It's a common tool, if you have any friends or relatives that work on bikes they'll have one, or a local bike co op perhaps. Super cheap from Hong Kong.
If you are going to throw the old crank arms away you can get them off with a hammer & a massive punch or std screwdriver, the arms are pressed onto the axle, so go from the opposite side & pound all around the central axle area & they will work loose.
First, it is highly doubtful that the pedals were switched - it's next to impossible, as the two sides are threaded in opposite directions. Most likely it came off from lack of previous maintenance. Always a good idea to go over nut/bolts and adjustments on a used bike. Yes, I've seen it done, but perhaps once or twice in 20 years of wrenching, and then only on the left side.

Secondly, it may be difficult to find a matching crank for yours with a similar style and number of teeth.

Thirdly, are you sure the threads are stripped out? You did not provide a pic of the actual hole, so no way to tell how extensive the damage is. If only part of the threads are damaged a 9/16x20 tap passed through from the back of the crank may give you enough purchase for the pedal.

Finally, even if the threads are beyond repair there is a fix to your problem, and many bike shops have the equipment to solve it without the need to replace the crank arm. It's called a pedal bushing repair kit (also referred to as Helicoil). If you have a shop nearby just call them to ask if they fix stripped pedals (the kit is too expensive to purchase). You should of course inquire as to cost and compare to a replacement crank arm that is close to what you have (needs to have same number of teeth, take the same size pedal, 170mm arm, and preferably the same offset so that your leg is the same distance from the frame center.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-19-2021, 12:00 AM
Last Post: rbx

10-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Last Post: Darrenjs92ni

08-24-2010, 04:46 AM
Last Post: trevgbb