Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Losing weight
I'm a 6-ft male and will be turning 60 later this year and used to weigh 185lbs. Since taking up riding a year ago, I've lost 30lbs or so. Feel great and have nevery been as fit as now... but am somewhat annoyed by comments from family that I am too thin and I should put on more weight. I habe tried increasing my food consumption but to no effect. The alternative is to cut down on my riding which I tried for a while but that didn't last long as I missed riding too much.

Everything about my biking experience has been positive but I guess putting up with such comments is a small price to pay.
(08-31-2014, 08:25 PM)barney Wrote:  I'm a 6-ft male and will be turning 60 later this year and used to weigh 185lbs. Since taking up riding a year ago, I've lost 30lbs or so. Feel great and have nevery been as fit as now... but am somewhat annoyed by comments from family that I am too thin and I should put on more weight. I habe tried increasing my food consumption but to no effect. The alternative is to cut down on my riding which I tried for a while but that didn't last long as I missed riding too much.

Everything about my biking experience has been positive but I guess putting up with such comments is a small price to pay.

Jeez, tell them that's funny 'cause you're starting to look fat to me.
(08-31-2014, 10:58 PM)1FJEF Wrote:  
(08-31-2014, 08:25 PM)barney Wrote:  I'm a 6-ft male and will be turning 60 later this year and used to weigh 185lbs. Since taking up riding a year ago, I've lost 30lbs or so. Feel great and have nevery been as fit as now... but am somewhat annoyed by comments from family that I am too thin and I should put on more weight. I habe tried increasing my food consumption but to no effect. The alternative is to cut down on my riding which I tried for a while but that didn't last long as I missed riding too much.

Jeez, tell them that's funny 'cause you're starting to look fat to me.

LOL. Funny, though it‘s just my female relatives commenting.
They are jealous. Suggest that they join you riding.
Nigel
(09-01-2014, 12:27 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  They are jealous. Suggest that they join you riding.

I'm thinking females have a "maternal gene" and they instinctively want to fatten up skinny people. Another possibility-- it makes them feel better if there is someone plumper in the room..LOL..
Anyway, will follow what my body tells me and I think I'm pretty close to the right mix of biking, eating and resting so each new ride something I look forward to.
I sometimes get comments like "you're too skinny" from my wife's family. They are all overweight to various degrees. They also don't like exercise, and they don't like to sweat. We have very different priorities. I remind them that I am at a healthy weight and body composition for my height. I'm not underweight or overweight. They also know I ride more for the joy of riding than for the fact it keeps me trim. I found that with fitness you have to lead by example and help people see that it's a lifestyle, not a fad.
Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
2021 Felt Breed 30
(09-26-2019, 09:41 PM)J_R_Schultz Wrote:  I sometimes get comments like "you're too skinny" from my wife's family. They are all overweight to various degrees. They also don't like exercise, and they don't like to sweat. We have very different priorities. I remind them that I am at a healthy weight and body composition for my height. I'm not underweight or overweight. They also know I ride more for the joy of riding than for the fact it keeps me trim. I found that with fitness you have to lead by example and help people see that it's a lifestyle, not a fad.

Hehe, I can relate to "you're too skinny" comments Wink Can't wait for the Christmas gatherings when my "cyclists body" will be examined at the dinner table by different parts of the families (elders tend to have the opinion -> the thicker, the healthier). For many it means "underfed, weak" and so on. Although I feel better and stronger than ever.
"Carbon is faster"