Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

New crank?
Hi all,
As you may remember,I am having a big prob with fd shifting up from little ring to big ring.bike is back in the shop at this time. They are thinking that the trouble is the fsa crank and rings. The rails are notbuilt like the sram and shimano. The cervelo has Rival on it w/fsa crank. we are talking about upgrading at shop cost for materials to shimano crank. I guess my question is do i want to replace the whole crank or just the rings? What would be the advantage to a complete replacement? I was thinking about replacing the rings with red an see what happened.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Bill
Nobody ever said "I wish I would have gotten less of a bike!"

Cervelo S5
Cannondale F29 1 alloy Lefty
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

(05-14-2014, 01:14 PM)fishboy316 Wrote:  Hi all,
As you may remember,I am having a big prob with fd shifting up from little ring to big ring.bike is back in the shop at this time. They are thinking that the trouble is the fsa crank and rings. The rails are notbuilt like the sram and shimano. The cervelo has Rival on it w/fsa crank. we are talking about upgrading at shop cost for materials to shimano crank. I guess my question is do i want to replace the whole crank or just the rings? What would be the advantage to a complete replacement? I was thinking about replacing the rings with red an see what happened.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Bill
Bill sorry to hear about the troubles still, I wish I were closer to you to help better. I would first recommend trying a different chain. If this is on your dime and not the shops. See from the shops point of view, they get bit in the ass so to speak when they mark down a bike a lot to sell it, then when something like this occurs it becomes a lose lose for them. Fsa cranks are widely used and are decent cranks for the most part. Changing rings only can be as costly as a whole crankset. Try a different chain first, test out. and go from there. It may just do the trick. Make sure not to use the same brand/model chain of course.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Yea it will be on me. I have read so much about the fd on the sram. It really sucks. I don't blame the shop but feel like it should be warranty issue. The shop is going to give the crank at cost but still sucks. Will tell em to try another chain. I am almost ready to tell em to put shimano on the whole thing! I need to be able to trust this thing or it is of no use to me. They said if you hit it just right it works fine. I feel like it just shouldn't be that complicated! Thanks for the suggestion PK!
Bill

Cervelo S5
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

It has to be an awkward situation for the shop and you by now I would have to think, sorry for that for sure. But you really need to only make one change at a time to pinpoint the problem and I prefer cost wise start low to high. I hope the chain does the trick. It is a shame sometimes when the age of full groupo is accomplished only by custom builds now and not spec'd by the Bike company's.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I think more awkward for them. I don't blame them. I bought the bike with the crank and incomplete group. as long as they keep takin care of it I will not be hatin on em!LOL I have read so much about the problem that I am amazed sram hasen't recalled or something. I don't get it? These builders put a bike that retails for $5000 and put a $70 crank on it=/ I may go ahead and swap it out while he is doing it for cost. Thinking an ultegra 6800 for $215 installed aint bad. So the head mech is takin it for the day today and will see what he says. Will keep you posted!

Cervelo S5
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

You can do that if you want, but let me just say that the "shotgun approach" is not the way to go. Backing up to the first issue of the assumed front derailleur and now the assumed crankset, what is the common link ( pardon the pun) between the two. The chain. Not all are created equal and not all work with every combination of various components in the "sweet spot". Either just replace the chain or do not do it at all if you are swapping the crankset out at the same time. Though differences may be subtle, here are just two pics of chains that differ. This would have been the first thing I would have replaced with the first problem you had and knowing the rest of the setup was correct. I would beg you not to over think this and or listen to at heart what you may have read alot of on the web about this issue by people that may have missed the "common link" themselves. Try the chain and the chain alone. If that does not do it, then try another crankset and BB.
Hi PK, What type of chain would you recommend? I will tell em to try it when I talk to em tomorrow. I agree with you on trying the cheaper first. If the chain doesn't fix it then only out $40. Had to put a new chain on the lefty today!LOL Chain broke in 3 places on a climb. It was a good day for a walk!LOL

Cervelo S5
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

snap me a pic of your cluster and your chain. Then i can better recommend one to try.
It's at the shop but I will try to get there today.
Thanks again!
Bill

Cervelo S5
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

It's at the shop but I will try to get there today.
Thanks again!
Bill

Cervelo S5
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

Talked to the shop today, They said they tried 3 other chains this weekend. Same results. it currently has a sram chain on it. It goes with the rival group. They tried an ultegra 6701, Sram red,KMC sl 10. Havent been able to get there but what you think?

Cervelo S5
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

(05-20-2014, 11:59 PM)fishboy316 Wrote:  Talked to the shop today, They said they tried 3 other chains this weekend. Same results. it currently has a sram chain on it. It goes with the rival group. They tried an ultegra 6701, Sram red,KMC sl 10. Havent been able to get there but what you think?
Bummer, but at least it is happening to them and not just for you. With these 10 speed system you lose to many gear combo's to do a more radical FD pitch, so let the shop pick a crank/BB to fix the problem on their dime. equal to or better as not to devalue the bike.
Quite often people under throw or short throw brifters if not used to them before. I doubt this is the case at this point. I would need the bike in my rack to make more conclusions at this point Bill.
Thanks for the help PK! I am looking at the ultegra 6800. They will install on their dime and I pay half their cost for the crank. Be around $120. I don't mind that so much for the crank I will be getting. At the price I paid for the bike it is minor. When looking at the rail on the ultegra ring and the one on the fsa it is night and day. I really just want to be done with the trouble and ride the darn thing!
Thanks for your help Brother! You always got my back!
Bill
Thanks for the help PK! I am looking at the ultegra 6800. They will install on their dime and I pay half their cost for the crank. Be around $120. I don't mind that so much for the crank I will be getting. At the price I paid for the bike it is minor. When looking at the rail on the ultegra ring and the one on the fsa it is night and day. I really just want to be done with the trouble and ride the darn thing!
Thanks for your help Brother! You always got my back!
Bill

Cervelo S5
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

Going to try new sram red rings. between that and some adjustments should be better. At this point I am good with it. At least we are trying something. Will let you know how it goes.

Cervelo S5
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

Hi PK,
Just an update. Have been tinkering with the FD. I actually had to tighten the cable a bit. Pulled it tighter and fooled with the top end adjustment(loosened about 1 1/4 turns) and it is better than it ever was. Took it around the hood tonight for half hour and shifted about 100 times and it worked pretty well. still had to coax it a little at times but not most of the time. Had it 3 or 4 times try to drop off going to the little ring but the chain catcher caught it and let me coax it onto the ring. will readjust the lower screw and see what happens. Feel good enough about it to try a 20 or so mile tomorrow before church. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your help.
Bill

Cervelo S5
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

I hope it goes well, time to start enjoying the ride!
Well I went for about 25 miles and not a missed shift or dropped chain. worked real good. Am still getting the sram red rings at cost installed for $50. Back in love with the cervelo! Now I can work on the lefty and go tubeless! Thanks for the help.

Bill

Cervelo S5
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix