Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Repair or buy?
Hi everyone. I just wanted to get some opinions as to what I should do.

I have a Phoenix Boulder mountain bike, that was purchased around 20 years ago. It was very lightly used (honestly, it probably was used ten times or so). Since then it's been sitting in the basement doing nothing.

What servicing needs to be done for a bike that has sat this long? On another forum it was suggested I replace the tubes and tires if they need replacing, and maybe the brake pads. How much would that run me? It probably depends on what tires and pads I buy. From some browsing online I am guessing $100 or so.

But, is that all I would need to do to ensure the bike runs well and runs safe? Or do you think more might be required? If the cost gets up to $300 or more I figure it might be best to simply buy a new bike. The Trek 3500 Disc looks tempting.

My riding will consist of bike paths and maybe some light off-roading eventually.

Thanks!
Brake pads, tyres and tubes are a "must". I would also very critically look at cables and housing and very likely replace the lot. Other than that... I guess you should be ready to get rollin'! To ride safely: Do get lights!
Not a whole lot of info on the Phoenix Boulder; from what little I could see, it appears to have a Cr-Mo frame - if it true, it is a keeper.

Joe covered the basics; I would also pull apart the hub, BB and headset to clean and re-grease (I use grease intended for boat trailer wheel bearings - inexpensive, lasts forever on bike applications). Less than $5- in parts; less than $10- if you replace all the balls; but requires the proper tools (est $50-) and an hour or so of labor ($100- or so at a bike shop; free at home).

Where are you going to ride it?
street only, get these tires or similar:
http://www.amazon.com/Kenda-Commuter-Recumbant-Bicycle-Pressure/dp/B000C15E1W/ref=sr_1_13?s=cycling&ie=UTF8&qid=1374855834&sr=1-13&keywords=26+x+1.5
Nigel
(07-26-2013, 12:22 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  Not a whole lot of info on the Phoenix Boulder; from what little I could see, it appears to have a Cr-Mo frame - if it true, it is a keeper.

Joe covered the basics; I would also pull apart the hub, BB and headset to clean and re-grease (I use grease intended for boat trailer wheel bearings - inexpensive, lasts forever on bike applications). Less than $5- in parts; less than $10- if you replace all the balls; but requires the proper tools (est $50-) and an hour or so of labor ($100- or so at a bike shop; free at home).

Where are you going to ride it?
street only, get these tires or similar:
http://www.amazon.com/Kenda-Commuter-Recumbant-Bicycle-Pressure/dp/B000C15E1W/ref=sr_1_13?s=cycling&ie=UTF8&qid=1374855834&sr=1-13&keywords=26+x+1.5

Bike trails around my area...I believe they are paved but some areas are probably gravel.

I'll get started watching the videos posted here as I will likely do the work myself.

Guess I'm looking at $150 or so? Tires are likely the largest expense.

Tubes
Tires
Brake Pads
Cables
Housing
Hub (clean and re-grease)
BB (clean and re-grease)
Headset (clean and re-grease)

Thanks for the direction - I appreciate the help.